Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: U18s 4-2 Gillingham

15 September 2014

MK Dons Under-18s extended their unbeaten record to six matches in all competitions as they came from behind to beat Gillingham 4-2 on Saturday.

Mike Dove’s side had won three straight games heading into the clash and goals from Kevin Owusu (pictured), Kabongo Tshimanga, Kyran Wiltshire and Laurence Vaughan helped the hosts continue that run at Woughton on the Green.

The opening exchanges of the game were fairly even with both sides settling well and looking dangerous in and around the penalty area.

Dove’s Dons created a good chance on nine minutes when the ball found Owusu inside the box, however he didn’t connect cleanly with his shot and it went just wide of the left post.

The visitors from Kent then enjoyed a good spell of possession and took the lead on 25 minutes with a finish from inside the penalty area, after the Dons failed to deal with a cross from the left.

Conceding the goal seemed to spur the Dons on and they were level just eight minutes later when, after some good play down the left side, the ball found its way to Owusu and the forward showed good strength to hold his man off and knock the ball into the goal to make it 1-1.

The home side started the second half strongly and Tshimanga had an effort tipped wide by the Gills keeper soon after the restart. Then, on 50 minutes, they took the lead when Tshimanga hammered the ball high into the net from the right hand side of the penalty area to make it 2-1.

Ten minutes later, the Dons gave themselves a cushion in the game when midfielder Wiltshire received the ball inside the box, showed good composure to round the advancing Gillingham keeper and finished into the net to make it 3-1.

The home side were on top and could have extended their lead further as Wiltshire hit a shot that whistled just wide of the left upright and then Connor Furlong had a shot which the visiting keeper struggled to handle.

The victory was complete with 15 minutes remaining, as the Dons made it 4-1 after another nice move was finished low into the net by right wing back Vaughan, to give the hosts an advantage they never looked like relinquishing.

Despite a stoppage time consolation from the Kent side which came after the Dons couldn’t clear a corner kick, they were good value for an impressive win which maintains their momentum.
Director of Youth Mike Dove said after the game: “The first 30 minutes were not our best. Gillingham went 1-0 up and it could have been more because our performance was poor in the first half.

“We needed to step up and take responsibility and I was pleased that we did that. Connor Furlong had a very good game and even at 3-1 Gillingham continued to push forward and created chances.

“We looked a bit tired towards the end and lost concentration and conceded late on. For the boys the winning phase of their development continues and we have a free weekend now which should help them because they have had a busy start to the season.”

MK Dons (3-4-1-2): McCorkell; Daffern, Jackson (Weston 50), Hunt; Vaughan, Brittain, Wiltshire, Okito (capt); Furlong; Owusu (Hadden 78), Tshimanga.

Goals: Owusu 33, Tshimanga 50, Wiltshire 61, Vaughan 75.

Subs not used: Wyant (GK), Palmiero.

Advertisement block