Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 3-1 AFC Wimbledon

Three goals earn three points for the Dons…

23 January 2024

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 3-1 AFC Wimbledon

Three goals earn three points for the Dons…

23 January 2024

MK Dons’ three first half goals see them secure all three points in their Stadium MK clash against AFC Wimbledon.

In absence of Mike Williamson, Ian Watson took charge of the side with the support of First Team Coach Chris Bell and Goalkeeper Erbil Bozkurt, as well as the rest of the backroom staff.

Watson made two changes from the previous Stadium MK outing, which saw captain Dean Lewington return to the starting XI alongside fellow defender Cameron Norman.


Just minutes into the match the MK Dons crowd made their voices heard as the Cowshed got behind the team early on.

Although faced with a defensive period, MK Dons would deal the first blow ten minutes into the Sky Bet League Two fixture! Joe Tomlinson shook past his defender before locating the run of Dan Kemp in the middle, who turned home the ball within the six-yard area! 1-0

An electric start that provided an early opener, which only surged more energy into the Dons crowd.

An incredible start to the opening stages of the clash as Dons doubled their lead just 16 minutes following the starting whistle! Warren O’Hora picked out Alex Gilbey in the middle of the opposition’s final-third, Gilbey’s flicked pass through to Dean caused all sorts of trouble for the visitors as defender Ryan Johnson sliced a cleared attempt into his own goalmouth. 2-0 

The home side couldn’t see a better start as they put home the third of the half through Warren O’Hora! From a free-kick position, Jack Payne rolled the ball to Robson, who lofted it into the front post where O’Hora had broken free from his markers to head in the third of the game past Alex Bass. 3-0

An amazingly strong start to the proceedings at Stadium MK.

The team on top didn’t let their foot off the gas whilst Max Dean came close to a fourth, but his strike ventured just wide of the far post. Marschall was yet to face a shot on goal despite 34 minutes on the stopwatch.

No matter their advantage, MK Dons continued to threaten Alex Bass between the sticks. A well-worked passing move from back to front involved a plethora of white shirts until it eventually met the run of Cameron Norman at the back post. Bass closed down the angle before Norman had a chance to complete the move with what would’ve been the fourth Dons goal of the game.

Cameron Norman was forced into an early exit as he came off the field following an assessment from the medical staff on the pitch. Kyran Lofthouse took his place.

The first-half concluded as MK Dons held their three-goal advantage.


With no intent to let up on their opposition, Ian Watson’s team came out of the blocks quickly looking to put more pressure on the back-line of AFC Wimbledon.

The men in white were successful in their efforts to threaten the visitor’s defence, which created more chances against Alex Bass. The goalkeeper produced a reaction save to prevent Dan Kemp his brace shortly after the restart.

A mistake whilst playing at the back was soon punished by the travelling team, who had cut the deficit 53 minutes into the fixture. 3-1

Lewington, MK Dons captain, who put in an immense shift, received a standing ovation as he was replaced in the 62 minute by Daniel Harvie.

Minutes after the Dons substitution, Stadium MK witnessed a red card sanction as Huseyin Biler was sent to walk down the tunnel after he brought down Max Dean as the last defender.

Less than ten minutes after, the travelling team had committed the exact same offence. Much like the first time, referee Sunny Singh Gill had no choice but to reduce the visitors to nine men.

Whilst in the driving seat, the home side only looked that much more comfortable when their threatening attacks rewarded them with an advantage in numbers on the pitch.

Watson made a triple change in the final minutes of the match which saw Mo Eisa, Lewis Bate and Ellis Harrison replace Max Dean, Ethan Robson and Dan Kemp respectively.

Eight more minutes were added onto the end of the game. MK Dons continued in their positive and attacking approach, but the three goals they scored during the first half of the Sky Bet League Two fixture was great enough to see a successful night in Buckinghamshire!


MK Dons: Marschall, Norman (Lofthouse 45+1), Lewington © (Harvie 62), O’Hora, Williams, Gilbey, Payne, Tomlinson, Robson (Bate 86), Dean (Eisa 86), Kemp (Harrison 86)

Subs: Kelly, Smith

Goals: Kemp 10, OG Johnson 16, O’Hora 23

Yellow cards: Payne 79

AFC Wimbledon: Bass, Biler, Reeves, Johnson (Kalambayi 18), Tilley (Brown 75), Davison (Gordon 45), Little, Ball (Pell 45), Currie, Sasu (Ogundere 69), Lewis

Subs: Tzanev, Curtis

Goals: Little 53

Yellow cards: Tilley 55

Red cards: Biler 64, Kalambayi 72

Referee: Sunny Singh Gill

Stadium: Stadium MK 

Attendance: 6,278 (651)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account