Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 2-1 Accrington Stanley

MK Dons come from behind to beat Accrington Stanley with a last-minute winner at Stadium MK…

10 February 2024

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 2-1 Accrington Stanley

MK Dons come from behind to beat Accrington Stanley with a last-minute winner at Stadium MK…

10 February 2024

MK Dons secured their 11th win in Sky Bet League Two under Mike Williamson thanks to a 92nd-minute Joe Tomlinson winner after Jack Payne scored a brilliant free kick to cancel out Jack Nolan’s opener.

Accrington Stanley took the lead on 11 minutes when a low shot from Jack Nolan crept past Filip Marschall to give the Reds the lead.

The Dons responded with a resilient second half display that saw Jack Payne perfectly place his free-kick past Radek Vitek.

Joe Tomlinson then capped off a dramatic afternoon for the Dons, firing home a powerful strike in stoppage time to secure all three points for the team from MK1.

Mike Williamson made two changes to the team that lost 1-0 to Barrow at the SO Legal Stadium last time out.

Ethan Robson came in for Ellis Harrison, while Kyran Lofthouse replaced Warren O’Hora who was unavailable due to personal reasons. 

MK Dons started the brighter of the two teams, with early running from Dan Kemp and Alex Gilbey opening up spaces in the Accrington half.

Kemp continued to cause Accy problems in the opening exchanges, latching onto a Lewis Bate ball over the top before demonstrating great hold-up play to bring Jack Payne into the game.

It was Accrington Stanley though who landed the first blow, a low shot from just outside the box from winger Jack Nolan crept past Filip Marschall to give the Reds the lead after 10 minutes. 0-1.

From there the team from the North West continued to push, with midfielder Tommy Leigh drifting a header wide after a Connor O'Brien cross.

Accrington where then forced into a first-half subsition when Jay Rich-Bahuelou went down after just 25 minutes and was replaced by Aaron Pickles.

MK Dons began to threaten as the first half progressed, with Daniel Harvie and Joe Tomlinson causing Accy problems on both sides of the pitch.

Joe Gubbins was then shown a first-half yellow card for a foul on Kyran Lofthouse before Dan Martin was also booked five minutes later for a foul on Lewis Bate.

MK Dons produced dangerous a corner just before half-time, Accrington failed to clear Jack Payne’s cross leading to a brief goalmouth scramble before the ball was eventually steered away.

The Dons had the ball in the net in first-half stoppage time, Dan Kemp slotted home a low Joe Tomlinson cross, only for the goal to be ruled out by referee Declan Bourne for the ball going out of play.

Accrington Stanely made a change at halftime, with Seamus Conneely coming on to replace Jake Bickerstaff.

MK Dons made a bright start to the second half as Jack Payne fizzed the ball in towards the Accrington net before it was turned away for a corner.

The Dons continued to pile on the pressure putting together a lovely move on the edge of the Accrington box, Lofthouse and Payne combined for a quick one-two before the wing-back lifted his shot over the bar.

Accrington picked up their third booking of the afternoon after 60 minutes, Seamus Conneely was shown a yellow card for a foul on Kyran Lofthouse who was driving forward into the Stanley half.

Mike Williamson made two changes after 63 minutes, with Ethan Robson and Dan Kemp coming off for Stephen Wearne and Ellis Harrison respectively.

Daniel Harvie found himself with space on the edge of the Accrington area after some good build-up play and was encouraged to shoot by the Cowshed, firing a low shot just wide of the left-hand side of the goal.

Accrington then made a fourth change, with Alex Henderson replacing Dan Martin.

Josh Woods earned Accrington’s fourth yellow card of the afternoon for a poor challenge just outside the area.

Jack Payne stepped up to take the resulting free kick and curled it exquisitely into the top-right hand corner to equalise for MK Dons. 1-1.

Ellis Harrison began making his presence felt as the half progressed, stretching to meet a Lofthouse ball and steering over on 78 minutes.

Harrison had an even better great chance to put the Dons ahead on 81 minutes thanks to a brilliant run from Stephen Wearne, the number 9 was denied by a smart stop from keeper Vitek down to his right to keep the scores level.

Mike Williamson made a double change with three minutes to go, with Dean Lewington and Kyran Lofthouse being replaced by Cameron Norman and Emre Tezgel.

Accrington Stanley manager John Coleman was shown a yellow card by Declan Bourne in the first of four minutes of added time for something that was said on the visitors' bench.

With two minutes of added time to play the Dons launched an attack that resulted in a Joe Tomlinson shot being well saved by Vitek.

From the resulting corner the ball found its way out to Tomlinson again, who this time lashed it home to win it for the Dons with a powerful strike. 2-1

It could have been three at the death, with Alex Gilbey denied by a good Vitek save from close range. 


MK Dons: Marschall, Lewington (C) (Noman 87), Williams, Gilbey, Payne, Tomlinson, Robson (Wearne 63), Harvie, Kemp (Harrison 63), Lofthouse (Tezgel 87), Bate

Subs: Kelly, Dennis, Tripp

Goals: Payne 71, Tomlinson 90+3

Yellow cards: Payne 77

Accrington Stanley: Vitek, Rich-Baghuelou (Pickles 25), Hills (C), B Woods, Gubbins, Nolan, Leigh, Bickerstaff (Conneely 45), Martin, O’Brien, J Woods

Subs: McIntyre, Mellor, Quirk, Adekoya, Henderson

Goals: Nolan 10

Yellow cards: Gubbins 29, Martin 34, Conneely 58, J Woods 65, O’Brien 79, Nolan 90

Referee: Declan Bourne

Stadium: Stadium MK

Attendance: 5,508 (102)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account