Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 0-0 Ipswich Town

Dons and Ipswich share the spoils at Stadium MK...

12 February 2022

MK Dons and Ipswich Town shared the spoils at Stadium MK, as a 0-0 draw saw Liam Manning’s men maintain their unbeaten run.

In a tightly-contested affair between two teams with promotion aspirations, it was the Dons who had the better of the chances, including a stoppage-time free-kick from Scott Twine which was saved by Christian Walton.

They would have to settle for a point however – one that keeps them third in the Sky Bet League One and with just one defeat to their name in 10 league matches this calendar year.

Team news
MK Dons reverted back to the side that beat Lincoln City at Stadium MK, as Tennai Watson, Josh McEachran and Theo Corbeanu all returned to the starting XI.

First half
Three minutes in, Corbeanu burst past his man, Luke Woolfenden, down the left but could only find the side netting with his shot.

The Dons’ positive start continued after that, though Ipswich Town did soon have their first chance when Wes Burns blazed over from the edge of the area. That sparked a good spell for the visitors who then saw Bersant Celina denied by Jamie Cumming.

Cumming produced another fine stop with 28 minutes played as he dove to his left to keep out Kayden Jackson’s strike towards the top corner. At the other end, Corbeanu had another opportunity, from a Josh McEachran through pass, but saw his effort turned around the post by Christian Walton.

The Dons’ best first-half chance arrived in the final minute of regulation time – a brilliant acrobatic effort from Scott Twine that was met by an equally impressive save from Walton. Twine had another opening shortly after that but he wasn’t able to get a shot away inside the box.

Half-Time – MK Dons 0-0 Ipswich Town

Second half
Ipswich had the first opportunity in the second half courtesy of Burns, whose low effort deflected just past the left post. Cumming was then quick off his line to prevent Conor Chaplin getting on the end of a long pass forward while Janoi Donacien headed wide from deep corner shortly after.

Manning went to his bench just past the hour and swapped Corbeanu for Connor Wickham – a move saw Parrott head out wide and Wickham, a former Tractor Boy, take his place up top. Not long after, Parrott latched onto Twine’s cleverly-taken free-kick and forced Walton into a diving save.

Parrott went close again from another set-piece on 71 minutes but the Irishman couldn’t keep his header down from Twine’s corner. Ipswich then threatened from a corner of their own but Cumming twice came up trumps to deal with the danger.

Cumming wouldn’t have got to Chaplin’s 25-yard drive with a quarter of an hour to play but, fortunately for him and the Dons, the effort sailed wide. Before the re-start, Manning made his second change – Hiram Boateng on for McEachran.

On 84 minutes, Cumming read play well to parry away a teasing cross from Burns and prevent it finding an Ipswich shirt. Darling then produced two vital interceptions to stall promising attacks, moments before George Edmundson headed wide from a corner.

MK Dons responded and worked a shooting chance for Boateng, who was kept out by a diving Walton. They remained on the front foot after that and looked the more likely team to snatch a late winner.

They were presented with an opportunity to do so in stoppage after Twine was fouled five yards from the edge of the box. The MK Dons number nine took the free-kick himself but was denied by Walton – the final action of an entertaining clash at Stadium MK.

Full-Time – MK Dons 0-0 Ipswich Town

MK Dons: Cumming, Watson, Lewington, O’Hora, Darling, Twine, Corbeanu (Wickham 62), Coventry, McEachran (Boateng 75), Parrott, Harvie.

Subs: Ravizzoli, Smith, Eisa, Kemp, Kesler Hayden.

Booked: Watson, Lewington, Coventry

Ipswich Town: Walton, Edmundson, Woolfenden, Burns, Bakinson (Aluko 90), Jackson (Norwood 76), Chaplin (Bonne 76), Thompson, Celina, Donacien, Morsy.

Subs: Hladky, Vincent-Young, Carroll, Burgess.

Booked: Thompson, Bakinson

Referee: O Langford

Attendance: 15,311 (6,850 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account