Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 5-0 Swindon Town

Grigg scores four as Dons hit five...

24 April 2021

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 5-0 Swindon Town

Grigg scores four as Dons hit five...

24 April 2021

Will Grigg became the first MK Dons player to score four goals in a single match as he helped fire Russell Martin’s men to a 5-0 victory over Swindon Town.

The Sunderland loanee opened the scoring on the quarter-hour mark after turning home a cross from Scott Fraser, who doubled the Dons’ lead from the penalty spot 11 minutes later.

Grigg then netted a third in first-half stoppage time before scoring twice in the first three minutes of the second period, as Martin’s side cruised to their biggest league win in over two years and climbed to ninth in Sky Bet League One as a result.

MK Dons made one change from the midweek win over Bristol Rovers, with Andrew Surman replacing Josh McEachran in midfield.

Ethan Laird worked his way into the Swindon box early on but was dispossessed by a well-timed tackle from Jonathan Grounds. Two minutes later, Scott Fraser whipped in a cross that was just too far in front of Will Grigg.

Fraser almost found himself on the end of a Matt O’Riley delivery shortly after but, again, the ball in was a little out of reach. He also flew himself at a Sorinola cross on 12 minutes, however wasn’t able to connect.

The Scot was involved again on 16 minutes as MK Dons took a deserved lead. Latching onto Andrew Surman’s long pass forward, Fraser brought the bouncing ball under control and sent it across for Grigg, who got in front of his man and turned home with a first-time finish. 1-0.

Martin’s men should have had the opportunity to double their lead from the penalty spot with 22 minutes played but referee Scott Oldham opted against penalising Swindon for what appeared to be a clear foul on Laird inside the area.

There was half a chance for Darling midway through the first half but he wasn’t able to get on the end of Laird’s flick-on. From the resulting corner, the Dons were awarded a penalty for a handball which kept Jules’ effort from troubling Lee Camp.

That provided Fraser with the chance to get a goal to show for his excellent start – and, of course, he took advantage, stroking home his 50th career goal to double the lead with 26 minutes on the clock. 2-0.

Fraser had a sniff at netting a second within minutes of the re-start but, despite being well-placed inside the area, wasn’t able to fashion a shot from Laird’s cutback. Swindon then threatened for the first time but the Dons did well to prevent them testing Andrew Fisher.

David Kasumu threw himself in the way of a long-range attempt from Jack Payne while Darling was strong to shield a ball into Fisher’s arms under pressure from Brett Pitman.

Tyler Smith had a terrific opportunity to reduce the deficit with six minutes to play in the half but he cleared the crossbar with an unopposed effort, eight yards from goal. Scott Twine also went close with a 25-yard free-kick which landed just past the left post.

Despite a strong finish to the half from their visitors, the Dons were able to wrestle back control in stoppage time and in the final moments they added a third goal.

Jules kept O’Riley’s corner alive at the far post and delivered a low ball in that was deflected into the path of Grigg. He turned and fired a first-time, right-footed shot towards goal, one which beat Anthony Grant on the line and nestled into the back of the net. 3-0.

Just a minute of playing separated Grigg’s second from his hat-trick, which came less than a minute into the re-start. Fraser was, again, the creator, playing a one-two with Kasumu before picking out MK Dons’ number 9 to slide home his third. 4-0.

There was barely any time for the loanee to celebrate his hat-trick before he was back on the scoresheet again, becoming the first player in Club history to score four goals in a league match when he guided a left-footed shot beyond the outstretched arm of Camp from Sorinola’s cross. 5-0.

Grigg was withdrawn shortly after to what surely would have been a standing ovation had supporters inside Stadium MK. He was replaced by Charlie Brown while Jordan Houghton came on for Kasumu.

Surman went close to a sixth Dons goal but saw his placed effort blocked on the line by Grant. He should have hit the net on 65 minutes but couldn’t keep his shot down after being found by Fraser, 12 yards from goal.

Darling couldn’t find the target with his effort from Lewington’s pass with 70 minutes gone. O’Riley also went close with a strike that was deflected wide by a Swindon defender on its way through to goal.

Laird was denied brilliantly by Camp in the closing stages – the Swindon goalkeeper showed great reflexes to keep out the defender’s bullet header at point-blank range.

MK Dons: Fisher, Lewington, Jules, Darling, Kasumu (Houghton 52), Grigg (Brown 52), Fraser, Laird, Surman (Sorensen 75), O’Riley, Sorinola.

Subs: Nicholls, McEachran, Mason, Bird.

Goals: Grigg (15, 45+3, 46, 48), Fraser (pen 26)

Swindon Town: Camp, Grounds, Baudry (Broadbent 27), Pitman (Hope 54), Smith, Twine, Garrick, Payne, Palmer, Thompson (J Grant), A Grant.

Subs: Matthews, Curran, Missilou, Omotoye.

Referee: S Oldham

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account