Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-1 AFC Wimbledon

31 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-1 AFC Wimbledon

31 October 2020

MK Dons were held to a 1-1 draw by AFC Wimbledon in the first meeting between the two sides this season.

AFC Wimbledon went ahead on 10 minutes through Joe Pigott but Russell Martin’s men responded just four minutes later – Scott Fraser the man grabbing the equaliser with his second goal in as many games.

The Dons dominated the match thereafter but failed to break down a stubborn AFC Wimbledon backline. At the other end, Andrew Fisher was equal to the handful of chances that the visitors created.

Saturday’s draw means Martin and his side have taken four points from two matches this week, ahead of a short trip to Northampton Town coming up in three days time.

Martin named an unchanged starting XI from Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic, while Carlton Morris and David Kasumu returned to the squad after missing the midweek victory through illness and suspension respectively.

The Dons did have the ball in the net inside the opening 30 seconds but Cameron Jerome’s goal was ruled out for offside in the build-up to his curling right-footed finish.

They fashioned another chance on goal three minutes later, as Stephen Walker teed up Scott Fraser, who sliced his half-volley well wide.

Despite their strong start, it was the visitors who took the lead on 10 minutes through Joe Pigott, who got the wrong side of the Dons defence before rounding Andrew Fisher and slotting into an open net. 0-1.

Martin’s men responded instantly and drew level just four minutes later through Fraser. The move started with a one-two between Walker and Jerome and resulted with the latter delivering a low ball across goal to MK Dons’ number 10, who stabbed home. 1-1.

The Dons threatened again straight from kick-off but despite Sorinola’s appeals for a penalty were quickly waved away by referee Christopher Sarginson.

At the other end, O’Hora prevented Pigott connecting with a low cross before Regan Poole threw himself in the way of Alex Woodyard’s long-range try.

Pigott then went very close to a second on 22 minutes but saw his near-post header hit the side netting. Later, Anthony Hartigan tested Fisher with an ambitious 35-yard shot from a free-kick, which the Dons goalkeeper was equal to.

On the half-hour mark, Sorinola did enough inside his area to keep Shane McLoughlin’s header from troubling Fisher. That led to a corner from which Daniel Csoka headed over.

MK Dons soon broke up the other end and Lasse Sorensen did brilliantly to work his way deep into the AFC Wimbledon box, before firing in a low cross which was put behind for a corner.

With 10 minutes to play in the half, Sorinola had another penalty appeal turned down – this despite appearing to be bundled over two yards from the byline. Jerome soon glanced a header wide, from a Dean Lewington cross.

AFC Wimbledon went close to restoring their lead eight minutes into the second but were denied by a terrific diving save from Fisher, who was at full stretch to keep out Steve Seddon’s goal-bound header.

Martin made his first substitution on the hour, replacing Walker with Morris in attack. He was involved in setting up Sorinola, who had a third penalty appeal turned down after a driving run into the area.

The wing back found himself in action on 68 minutes, from a Fraser through pass. Jerome was lurking at the back post unmarked but the MK Dons youngster opted to go alone and dragged his shot wide of the far upright.

Martin’s side created another chance four minutes later, with Houghton finding Poole inside the area – however the Welshman’s return ball back was intercepted. Ben Gladwin then entered the contest with a quarter of an hour left to play.

Fisher produced a stunning save to keep the scores level on 77 minutes, showing tremendous reflexes to dive to his right and keep out Pigott’s header. At the opposite end of the pitch, Sorinola got to the byline and looped a cross just above the head of Morris.

Sorinola was replaced shorlty after, with Harvie coming on in his place. The Scot picked out O’Hora with a corner on 84 minutes, but the header flew over. The Dons had another chance from a quickly-taken corner moments later, but Jerome sent his volley off target.

Neither side went close after that, with the whistle sounding after four minutes of rather uneventful stoppage time.

MK Dons remain unbeaten in their last four matches at Stadium MK, as they head into back-to-back away league matches at Northampton Town and Sunderland.

MK Dons: Fisher, Lewington, Keogh, Poole, Fraser, Walker (Morris 61), O’Hora, Sorensen (Gladwin 75), Houghton, Sorinola (Harvie 80), Jerome.

Subs: Nicholls, Williams, Kasumu, Mason.

Goal: Fraser (14)

Booked: Sorinola, Gladwin

AFC Wimbledon: Trueman, Csoka, Woodyard, Thomas, Hartigan, Rudoni (Chislett 69), McLoughlin, Kalambayi, Reilly, Pigott, Seddon.

Subs: Tzanev, Nightingale, Alexander, Palmer, Guinness-Walker, Longman.

Goal: Pigott (10)

Booked: Reilly

Referee: C Sarginson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account