Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Newport County 3-0 MK Dons

MK Dons eliminated from Trophy...

7 January 2020

Match Reports

Report: Newport County 3-0 MK Dons

MK Dons eliminated from Trophy...

7 January 2020

MK Dons exited the Trophy on Tuesday night as they fell to a 3-0 defeat at the hands on Newport County.

The damage was done in the first-half as a Padraig Among brace and a Tristan Abrahams strike secured Newport County's passage into the Quarter-Finals.

The Dons looked brighter in the second half, but were unable to reduce the deficit.

Boss Martin made seven changes to his line-up with Newport County Academy graduate Regan Poole among those coming into the starting XI – he was part of a defence which included George Williams, donning the captain’s armband, as well as Baily Cargill and Matthew Sorinola.

After a scrappy opening few minutes, it was Newport County who would have the first chance of the game. Matthew Dolan saw his effort blocked by Kasumu before Moore punched clear the corner.

The pressure from Newport didn’t stop there though, Moore tipped Inniss’ header onto the bar, but Tristan Abrahams was on hand to convert for the hosts just four minutes in. 1-0. 

The Dons pushed for an immediate reply and looked for their equaliser via a free-kick. Reeves stood over set-piece and delivered into the box, Nombe got a flick on the delivery but was unable to beat Townsend.

Kasumu then tried his luck from range, but couldn’t beat Townsend with his driven effort. Reeves then looked to create a chance as he looked for the run of Nombe, his pass was clever, but Townsend was off his line to claim the pass.

Dolan had the chance to double Newport’s lead with 26-minutes on the clock as he stood over a free-kick on the edge of the box. Dolan, however, rolled it into the path of Amond who fired past Moore and into the top corner. 2-0.

Newport made it three on 35-minutes as Amond grabbed his second of the afternoon as his header from a corner found the back of the net. 3-0.

Moore was on hand to deny Amond on 55-minutes, he got down low to deny the striker at his feet as he looked for his hat trick.

The Dons looked for a way back into the game as Houghton played a defence-splitting pass into the path of Boateng, his cross towards Nombe, however, was bravely claimed by Townsend.

Healey, who had replaced Houghton shortly after the hour, saw his effort from the edge of the box end narrowly wide of the post.

Poole then came close to producing a stunner on 74-minutes, his half-volley was a whisker away from finding the top corner.

It was Poole who was causing a lot of problems for the Newport County defence, he played a clever reverse pass into the path of Healey, however, he was unable to keep his shot down.

As the game drew to a close, Reeves dragged his volley wide of the post after being picked out by Healey.

MK Dons: Moore, Williams (c), Poole, Cargill, Reeves, Agard, Houghton (Healey 64), Boateng (Gilbey 72), Nombe, Kasumu, Sorinola (Walsh 74).

Subs: Nicholls, Gilbey, McGrandles, Mason, Brittain.

Newport County: Townsend, Haynes, Dolan, Amond, Sheehan, Abrahams, Nurse, Bennett, O’Brien, Innis, Jeffries.

Subs: King, Labadie, Howkins, Matt, Collins, Poleon, Woodiwiss

Referee: J Busby

Attendance: 767 (102)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account