Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-1 Burton Albion

Scotty scores from the spot to earn MK Dons a point...

12 December 2020

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-1 Burton Albion

Scotty scores from the spot to earn MK Dons a point...

12 December 2020

MK Dons came from a goal down but were held to a 1-1 draw by Burton Albion at Stadium MK.

Russell Martin’s men fell behind eight minutes in to a goal from Colin Daniel but restored parity midway through the second half courtesy of former Brewers midfielder Scott Fraser, who equalised from the penalty spot.

Neither side managed to conjure up a late winner as the shares were spoiled in front of 2,000 at Stadium MK - a result which keeps the Dons 17th in the Sky Bet League One table.

Boss Martin made one change from the side which started against Accrington a week ago, as George Williams replaced the suspended Matthew Sorinola. Taking Williams’ place on the bench was Kieran Agard, fresh from his brace in the midweek Papa John’s Trophy win over Norwich City Under-21s.

The Dons survived an early threat from Burton but they weren’t able to prevent the vistors from taking an eighth-minute lead, as Colin Daniel fired home a loose ball after Martin’s men failed to deal with a corner delivered in from the left. 0-1.

Charles Vernam bent a shot wide moments later as the Brewers maintained their strong start. It then took a diving block from Richard Keogh to prevent Vernam’s later shot from troubling Fisher.

It took until the 14th minute for the Dons to get in their groove and they threatened for the first time when Williams broke forward and sent a left-footed shot goalwards – one which was deflected wide of the post.

They then won a free-kick from which Ben Gladwin had a shot blocked. Later, Jerome had an effort kept out at point-blank range by Kieran O’Hara – the MK Dons striker deflected Warren O’Hora’s ambitious effort on target but not past the Burton goalkeeper.

The Dons were let off with 24 minutes played as Edwards failed to hit the target with his header, despite being unmarked 10 yards from goal. At the other end, a vial tackle from Sam Hughes prevented Jerome from getting a shot away after a one-two with Morris.

Burton were almost handed a second just past the half-hour but, after failing to gather a ball into the box, Fisher was able to redeem himself by keeping out Lucas Akins’ effort.

Martin’s men then went agonisingly close, as Jerome saw his first-time shot saved by O’Hara after connecting with Williams’ low cross. Williams later got on the end of an Andrew Surman corner, but saw his header caught by the Brewers’ shot-stopper.

With six minutes to play in the half, Fisher got down well to keep out Powell’s long-range drive. That proved to be the final chance of a disappointing first 45 minutes for Martin and his Dons.

They returned for the second period with Daniel Harvie in place of Gladwin. The wing back was involved early, breaking down the left flank and delivering a cross which was just a yard or two in front of Jerome.

Jerome then tried to turn provider with a cross of his own which was headed away by a Burton defender underneath his own crossbar.

With 62 minutes played, Fraser sent a rifled half-volley just past the left post after Burton failed to deal with a Dons corner. The MK Dons number 10 would have another opportunity 10 minutes later and this time, would take advantage.

Morris was clearly brought down inside the box as he went to pull the trigger and that handed Fraser the chance to equalise from the spot. Against his former side, the Scot showed great composure to keep his cool and slot home from 12 yards. 1-1.

He almost doubled his tally from a free-kick within minutes of the re-start, but saw his effort fly over the crossbar. Burton soon broke up the other end, and saw Edwards denied by Fisher.

The visitors went even closer to restoring their lead with 12 minutes to play but Edwards failed to keep his shot down, after being picked out by Akins.

Stephen Walker came off the bench for the final five minutes. His strike partner did brilliantly in the final minute of regulation to create space for a cross, which Lewington sent in, but Sorensen headed wide.

It was the Stoke City loanee who would have the final chance to win it in stoppage time. After Williams did well to win his header at the far post, Sorensen had the freedom to run onto his shot. It looked to be heading goalwards too, until a sliding block kept it out.

The final whistle sounded shortly after as Martin’s men were unable to break the Brewers down. They go again on Tuesday night against Peterborough United.

MK Dons: Fisher, Williams, Lewington (c), Keogh, Gladwin (Harvie 46), Kasumu, Morris, Fraser, O’Hora, Surman (Sorensen 62), Jerome (Walker 85).

Subs: Nicholls, Poole, Cargill, Agard.

Goal: Fraser (72 pen)

Burton Albion: O’Hara, Brayford, Daniel, Edwards, Bostwick, Quinn (Fox 68), Powell (Wallace 68), Akins, Vernam, Gilligan, Hughes.

Subs: Garratt, Lawless, O’Toole, Gallacher, Ennis.

Goal: Daniel (8)

Booked: Quinn

Referee: G Salisbury

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account