Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Interviews

Russ expecting more ins and outs

MK Dons have been busy this window but the manager hopeful of more activity...

3 August 2020

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Expect more incomings and outgoings as Russell Martin rebuilds his squad ahead of the 2020/21 season.

The MK Dons boss is entering his first full season in charge at Stadium MK and has already set about putting together his side for the Sky Bet League One campaign, with four players putting pen to paper on deals to return and 10 others departing.

Speaking to the media for the first time since the 2019/20 season was suspended in March, Martin said he expects much more activity between now and the time the league season gets underway on September 12th.

“We have worked really hard this summer to make sure we have a list of targets and I’m comfortable with where we are,” Martin said during his press conference.

“We’ve got a strong squad and we’ve been able to keep most of our spine from last year, but we will be adding a few more players and we will look to add those in the next week or two – we want our work done as early as possible so we can work on our squad.

“[Players coming in] have got to strengthen us, both in terms of mentality on the pitch and character and personality off the pitch. I’m really excited by some of the players we’ve talked too and the desire they’ve shown to play here.

“Players have to see MK Dons as a place they want to come and play at. I don’t want players who are looking elsewhere, you have to want to come here.”

Martin continued: “I think we have to look at outs too. There will people in the squad that weren’t involved very much last season and that’ll remain the case this season.

“People will need to move to play but they won’t be treated any differently because while they are here, they are our players and we will treat them exactly the same as anyone else.”

Three players who could end up on either the ins or outs list come the end of the transfer window are Callum Brittain, Joe Mason and Joe Walsh, who have all been offered contracts to extend their stay at Stadium MK, Russell Martin confirmed.

“[Joe Walsh and Callum Brittain] are entitled to see what is out there but we’re in dialogue with both of their agents and the players. The offers are there, as well as with Joe Mason, but they have their right to assess their options.

“There will come a time, though, where a decision has to be made. The offers are there and we are just waiting, we speak to their agents a lot, hopefully they will get sorted, one way or another, soon.”

Russell Martin also confirmed on Monday that goalkeeper Laurie Walker was training with the Club, with a view to returning to Stadium MK.


Advertisement block