Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Under-23s 0-0 Plymouth Argyle

Dons draw opening Central Development League fixture...

10 September 2019

Match Reports

Report: Under-23s 0-0 Plymouth Argyle

Dons draw opening Central Development League fixture...

10 September 2019

MK Dons Under-23s played out a goalless draw with Plymouth Argyle in their opening Central League game of the season.

A number of first-team players who weren’t in action over the weekend were handed a start, while the rest of the squad was made up of Under-18s.

Stuart Moore started in between the sticks while sitting in front of him was Finn Brennan, Jamal Sule, Ollie Leach.

Brennan Dickenson and Matty Sorinola occupied the wings, while Ryan Harley and Hiram Boateng sat in midfield – the front three was made up of Dylan Asonganyi, Jordan Bowery and Kieran Agard.

It was the away side who started brighter, as they threatened from two long-range shots – none of which tested Moore.

The first chance for the Dons came via Matty Sorinola, his cross towards Jordan Bowery was headed wide by the striker.

Harley was then in the right place at the right time to prevent Luke Jephcott’s strike.

After a frantic start, and a sustained five-minutes of pressure, MK Dons were handed a penalty with 10-minutes on the clock as Agard was bundled down inside the box.

Agard stepped up to penalty-taking duties, but Mike Cooper guessed the right way to deny the striker.

Agard then looked to turn provider as he teed up the on-rushing Sorinola – his right-footed strike ended wide of the post.

Sorinola was involved once again, as his cross from the right just missed the run of Asonganyi at the far-post.

The Dons, who were in control throughout the first-half, then saw Bowery’s header punched clear by Cooper, before the Plymouth keeper saved the rebound.

Bowery then set up Dickenson, whose fierce strike hit the side netting.

Plymouth started to find their feet in the clash shortly after the hour mark, and could’ve taken the lead, but Jephcott’s effort ended wide of the post.

Dickenson was looking lively down the left, and with five minutes left in the first-half, his strike cannoned off the crossbar.

Agard looked to give the Dons the lead with a minute remaining in the first 45-minutes, he was denied by Cooper at his near-post.

The Dons started the brightest in the second-half, with Sorinola firing over just seconds after the whistle.

Dickenson was once again involved during the early stages, he beat two men on the wing before his cross was put wide by Bowery.

Dickenson then produced a wonderful solo run to bring his side forward from inside his own box. Having picked up the ball, he drove into Plymouth’s half before finding Bowery on the left. His cross towards Agard, however, was cleared by Plymouth.

Antoni Sarcevic then had his effort blocked by Sule, before Adam Randell’s rebound went over the bar.

Stuart Moore then produced his first save of the second-half as he produced a stunning save to his left to deny Lolos.

On 67-minutes, the Dons had two chances within quick succession, as firstly Agard headed over from Brennan’s cross before Dickenson fired wide from the edge of the box.

Jordan Bowery went close on 72-minutes, only for his header to be tipped over by Cooper.

Lolos had the chance to give Plymouth the lead, he turned his marker well on the edge of the box before firing wide.

Jamie Robinson, who had replaced Ollie Leach on 78-minutes, put in a teasing cross towards Asonganyi. The striker was just underneath it, before Dickenson’s effort was blocked. 

Starting XI: Moore, Brennan, Sule, Leach (Robinson 78), Sorinola (Bailey 86), Harley, Boateng, Dickenson, Asonganyi, Bowery (Deall 74), Agard. 

Unused Subs: Rose, Freeman.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account