Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Welwyn Garden City 0-1 MK Dons

Houghton scores the decisive goal...

19 July 2019

Match Reports

Report: Welwyn Garden City 0-1 MK Dons

Houghton scores the decisive goal...

19 July 2019

Paul Tisdale’s MK Dons registered more important match minutes in a 1-0 pre-season win over Welwyn Garden City.

Midfielder Jordan Houghton, a scorer in the 5-1 win at Brackley Town, netted the solitary goal in a game where 22 Dons players got more game time in preparation for the 2019/20 season.

Tisdale’s starting line-up featured a number of players who came off the bench in Tuesday’s win over Brackley Town, with the exception of Callum Brittain, Ryan Harley and former midfielder Ben Reeves, who is currently training with the Club while he searches for a new team. The XI also included second-year scholar Finn Brennan, playing on the left side of the Dons’ defence.

Welwyn Garden started brightly and George Ironton registered the first shot of the game inside the opening minute. He had time on the edge of the box but dragged his right-footed shot well wide.

The Dons worked their way into the penalty area for the first time four minutes in but Dylan Asonganyi was flagged for offside. They should have taken the lead with their next chance but Callum Brittain blazed over a loose ball after Welwyn failed to deal with Joe Mason’s low cross.

Tisdale’s men were enjoying the majority of the ball but the wet surface saw a lot of their attempted through balls skid through for goal kicks. They managed to create two crossing opportunities near the half-hour mark but weren’t able to produce the crucial finishing touch.

Lee Close threatened the deadlock late in the first half but his header fell just wide of Lee Nicholls’ left-hand upright. The Dons then went close with the first effort of the second half - a Reeves free-kick which flew over the crossbar from 20-yards out.

Tisdale’s men looked refreshed from the half-time break and forced another chance moments later. Sam Nombe, who replaced Dylan Asonganyi, fired a low shot towards goal which produced a save from the Welwyn ‘keeper. Matthew Sorinola then had a sniff from Finn Brennan’s cross but was quickly closed down inside the box.

Russell Martin, George Williams and Dean Lewington came on with 10 minutes played in the second half. Their first involvement was to deal with a corner delivered into the six-yard box of their penalty area.

Hiram Boateng, Jordan Houghton and Conor McGrandles followed from the bench along with Jordan Bowery, Regan Poole and first-year scholar Jack Davies five minutes later. One of those six, Houghton, then opened the scoring on 70 minutes.

The midfielder played a one-two with Lewington from a free-kick before drilling in a low shot which deflected up off a defender and into the net for his second goal in as many games. 0-1.

Welwyn responded and almost drew level two minutes later but both Williams and Stuart Moore, on at half-time in place of Nicholls, got vital touches to a goal-bound effort.

The Dons then went agonisingly close to doubling their lead but Williams’ drive from Lewington’s corner was blocked on the line with the goalkeeper beaten. Boateng also had a chance to double the advantage late on but saw his shot tipped wide from close range.

In the end, the match finished 1-0 in the Dons’ favour. More importantly, though, were the minutes collected by the 23 players who featured.

Starting XI: Nicholls (Moore 46), Sorinola (Williams 55), Brennan (Lewington 55), Walsh (Davies 65), Pattison (Martin 55), Brittain (Poole 65), Harley (Boateng 59), Asonganyi (Nombe 46 (Agard 79)), Mason (Bowery 65), Reeves (McGrandles 59), Kasumu (Houghton 59).

Unused subs: Walker, Bird.

Goal: Houghton (70)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account