Paul Tisdale insists MK Dons will only dip into the transfer market this month for the right player.
The January Transfer window opened last week allowing clubs in England the opportunity to bolster their ranks ahead of the run-in.
Tisdale, who made 11 signings during the summer, believes the likelihood is that new players will arrive this month but only if they will improve his current squad.
“Good enough is not good enough,” Tisdale said in his press conference on Thursday. “I'm pretty considered about everything so I won't jump into anything.
“I can safely say we discuss players all day long – not just players to recruit, but people asking for references, or agents pitching players.
“For every 10 players we discuss, the reality is that only one of those becomes a player of interest. For every 10 you're interested in, you probably only talk to one. That's a lot of maths before you actually sign one.
“It's a testing month and I would say there's more bad business done than good so, if in doubt, do nothing. You've got to be sure.
“Clubs will be out there who need to do something. Do we? It depends who it is.
“Let’s not forget, we've got a few more players coming back from injury, which will feel like new signings too.”
One player MK Dons supporters would love to see arrive - or should we say return - this month would be striker Rhys Healey, who scored nine goals in 21 appearances during the first-half of the season before returning to parent club Cardiff City upon the expiry of his loan deal.
Tisdale isn’t giving up hope on having the 24-year-old back at Stadium MK for the remainder of the 2018/19 campaign but, as things stand, a decision has yet to be made on his future.
“We want him back. We've asked Cardiff if we can have him but I don't know yet. It's Neil Warnock's decision and he has been respectful to us, so we've been respectful to them.
“I'd like to think Rhys is interested in coming back but that’s not for me to say. We’ve done everything we can and I'd like him back - please!”
Rumours circulated earlier this month linking MK Dons with a move for Jayden Stockley and Tisdale confirmed that there was interest in the now-Preston North End striker before his switch to Deepdale.
“I'd loved to have brought Jayden here if I could but I couldn't based on the other opportunities he had – it was pie in the sky to be honest.
“I'm doing my job properly if I'm looking at every best option and exhausting those options, I'm looking to get the best players possible to MK Dons and, in Jayden’s case, I don't think we came close, but I had to try.”
As well as the potential for incomings, there is the prospect that players could leave Stadium MK during the transfer window.
Tisdale, though, hopes to keep his current squad together and that includes joint-top goalscorer Chuks Aneke.
“I don't want to lose anybody,” he said.
“Chuks is very important to us and I want him to stay here. He’s just as important as the other players but I understand that when it comes to the window, it's the players who make the biggest impact who get the most interest.”
Tisdale was also asked about the future of Mitch Hancox, following news that Coventry City defender Chris Camwell recently spent time training with the Dons.
The MK Dons boss confirmed Camwell won’t be signing this window and was complimentary of Hancox, admitting the left back deserves the opportunity to play football.
“I'm very, very happy with Dean Lewington and Mitch Hancox. My biggest issue is that I'm so fond of Mitch and I feel disappointed he's not playing football.
“Maybe it's a weakness in me, but I want all my players to be happy and do well. The dressing room and management team are so fond of Mitch and Deano.
“I was looking at a possibility of Mitch playing on loan somewhere else and, in which case, I'd need cover so I spoke to Mark Robins about the possibility of [Chris Camwell] coming here. At this stage, that won't be happening.
“That’s not because we want to lose Mitch. It’s about his development.”