Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 2-0 Coventry City

3 December 2019

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 2-0 Coventry City

3 December 2019

MK Dons progressed into Round Three of the Trophy after a 2-0 win over Coventry City at Stadium MK.

Russell Martin named a strong side for the clash, with both George Williams and Baily Cargill back in the starting XI following their suspension in the league.

Lee Nicholls retained his place in goal, with Dean Lewington and Joe Walsh in defence alongside the aforementioned Williams and Cargill.

Jordan Houghton, Conor McGrandles, Alex Gilbey and Hiram Boateng made up the midfield with Joe Mason and Kieran Agard up top.

It was almost the perfect start for Martin's side who would've had the lead after just four-minutes if it wasn't for the offside flag. It was Agard who was on the end of McGrandles' pass, however, he was judged offside after he put the ball in the back of the net.

Coventry, meanwhile, threatened through both Hiwula and O'Hare, the duo had efforts end narrowly wide before the 10-minute mark.

Houghton was the next man to go close for MK Dons, he was found on the edge of the box by McGrandles before firing wide with his driven strike.

Shortly after the half-an-hour mark, Mason almost put his side ahead. He lost his marker before being found by Lewington, his effort curled narrowly wide of the far post.

Williams then drove forward from defence for Coventry, having beaten three men, he tried his luck from 30-yards, Nicholls was equal to his effort.

Nicholls was once again on hand to deny Kastaneer after the Coventry striker was played in one-on-one.

Bakayoko had the best chance of the first-half just one minute before the break. It came from the creativity of O'Hare, who crossed into the box, Bakayoko was there to head back across goal and just as it looked as if he'd given Coventry the lead - Nicholls clawed away to safety.

The final chance of the half came via McGrandles who hit the side netting from outside the box.

Dons once again started bright, and could've had the lead just two-minutes after the half-time whistle. Lewington created the space for a cross on the right, before McGrandles header was saved by Wilson.

Wilson was once again on hand to thawrt the Dons, this time saving from Mason at his near-post.

The pressure was then put on by Martin's side, after winning a corner after some impressive work from McGrandles, the Dons went short to the Scot. After beating his man he delivered to the back-post where Cargill headed back towards Agard for the striker to hammer home on 62-minutes.. 1-0.

Coventry could've been level immediatly but for a stunning Lee Nicholls save, this time he denied Hiwula from close range.

The visitors ramped up the pressure and could'v once again equalised through Eccles, Walsh was in the right place to block his effort.

Having withstanded the pressure, the Dons doubled their advantage through Joe Mason. The goal came about after McGrandles' defence splitting pass found the run of Mason, who was composed in front of goal to find the far corner of the goal. 2-0.

Dickenson was then shown a red after two bookings within quick succession.

Starting XI: Nicholls, Williams, Lewington, Walsh, Cargill, Gilbey, Agard, McGrandles, Mason, Houghton, Boateng.

Subs: Moore, Poole, Bowery, Dickenson, Kasumu, Asonganyi, Sorinola.

Goals: Agard (61), Mason (71).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account