Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Yeovil Town 1-1 MK Dons

MK Dons and Yeovil share the spoils at Huish Park...

25 September 2018

Match Reports

Report: Yeovil Town 1-1 MK Dons

MK Dons and Yeovil share the spoils at Huish Park...

25 September 2018

Yeovil Town scored an 88th-minute leveller to deny MK Dons three points at Huish Park.

Paul Tisdale’s side led courtesy of Kieran Agard’s strike in first-half stoppage time but they weren’t able to add to their lead despite several second-half chances.

The Glovers then made them pay late on with Olufela Olomola firing past Nicholls ensure the points were shared at Huish Park.

Manager Tisdale made three changes to the side which started last weekend’s defeat to Lincoln City. Rhys Healey, who scored the Dons’ solitary goal in that match at Sincil Bank, entered the starting XI along with Baily Cargill and Agard. Joe Walsh, Ousseynou Cisse and Chuks Aneke made way.

His side started bright and Ryan Watson registered the first shot on goal inside the opening two minutes - the MK Dons number 7 dragged a right-footed effort just a few yards wide from the edge of the area.

Watson went close again five minutes later, as he pounced on a loose ball and moved into the area before seeing his shot deflected behind for a corner.

Yeovil failed to properly deal with the delivery from Lewington and that led to another Watson opportunity - this time the midfielder couldn’t keep his 20-yard effort down.

The Glovers forced Nicholls into his first save just a few minutes later with Jordan Green sending a drive straight at MK Dons’ number one.

Tisdale’s men then went straight back up the other end and Agard fired over from Callum Brittain’s cutback. Soon after, Agard had a shot blocked before Glovers forward Yoann Arquin flashed wide with a fierce strike from 18 yards out.

In the 17th minute, Yeovil threatened but Lewington denied two long-range efforts with a pair of brave and important blocks. The game was then halted due to an injury to Glovers winger Dialling Jaiyesimi, who required lengthy treatment before being stretched off the field.

Yeovil reacted well and they went close in the 25th minute through a Carl Dickinson free-kick which flew an inch or two wide Nicholls’ left upright.

MK Dons then broke forward with Rhys Healey, who played in Callum Brittain down the right. He strode into the box but saw Sessi D’Almeida nick the ball off his toes as he went to pull the trigger.

Tisdale’s side were looking dangerous and they had another chance to put the hosts under pressure from a Lewington free-kick which, in the end, found its way into the arms of Nathan Baxter courtesy of a Cargill header.

Healey was the next to threaten the Glovers with a tricky run through the middle of the park. He, though, couldn’t link up with Agard in the area. Gilbey then forced a save out of Baxter with a neat volley after gathering a Lewington free-kick on his chest.

MK Dons deserved a goal to take into the break and they found it in the fourth minute of stoppage time courtesy of Agard, who latched onto Brittain’s perfectly weighted through ball and fired a right-footed shot past Baxter and into the far corner of the net. 0-1.

Yeovil, looking to respond, earned themselves a corner early in the second half but the delivery was cleared away by the MK Dons defence, who then watched on as Gilbey broke forward and crossed for Brittain, whose volley was saved by Baxter.

Moore-Taylor dealt with a scramble deep inside the MK Dons penalty area before Olufela Olomola forced Nicholls into a save with a deflected effort. At the other end, Agard curled wide after cutting inside from the right flank.

The MK Dons goalscorer had a glorious chance to double his and the Dons’ lead but he couldn’t find the target from Healey’s low cross. Healey then sent a low drive just wide of the far post as Tisdale’s men pushed for a second.

Gilbey was the next to go close as his header into the ground, from Lewington’s cross, looped just over the crossbar. Brittain followed up with a long-range strike which a diving Baxter palmed away.

Yeovil spent the majority of the second half on the back foot but they had a great chance to level things up just past the hour mark but Jordan Green blazed over from close-range.

Tisdale then introduced his first change - Cisse replaced a carded Gilbey who, moments before, was warned by the referee for a foul made in the centre of the park.

On 63 minutes, Watson had a curling right-footed volley tipped wide by Baxter. From the resulting corner, Cisse headed wide.

Cisse was involved four minutes later, finding Lewington who then layed on for Watson to strike it - he dragged his shot wide.

With 19 minutes left to play, Dickinson fired over direct from a free-kick. Watson then curled over from 20 yards out before Agard saw a low shot saved by Baxter after some excellent play from Cargill down the left.

Baxter later tipped over a curling strike from Cisse which looked to be sneaking over the goalkeeper’s head.

In the closing stages, Alex Pattison found the side netting before Nicholls denied Green what looked sure to be an equaliser with a stunning one-on-one save.

Yeovil, though, did draw level with three minutes remaining courtesy of Olomola, who raced onto Green’s through pass and beat Nicholls with a low finish across goal. 1-1.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Williams, Moore-Taylor, Cargill; Brittain, Houghton, Gilbey (Cisse 63); Watson; Agard, Healey.

Unused subs: Moore, Hancox, Walsh, Thomas-Asante, Aneke, Simpson.

Goal: Agard (45+4)

Booked: Cargill, Gilbey, Brittain, Moore-Taylor

Attendance: 2,634 (120 away)

Referee: A Coggins

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account