Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 2-1 MK Dons

MK Dons suffer first league defeat of the season...

22 September 2018

Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 2-1 MK Dons

MK Dons suffer first league defeat of the season...

22 September 2018

Sky Bet League Two leaders Lincoln City came from behind to inflict a first league defeat on MK Dons at Sincil Bank.

Paul Tisdale’s side led through a fine goal from Rhys Healey but Shay McCartan drew the Imps level with a fierce strike. The hosts then won the contest late on through Jason Shackell’s 94th-minute header.

Manager Tisdale made two changes to the side which drew 1-1 with Forest Green Rovers, bringing in Ousseynou Cisse and Ryan Watson to replace Baily Cargill, who was fit enough to make the bench, and Kieran Agard.

Lincoln were the first to enter the opposing penalty area following some good play from John Akinde. He played a pass through for Shay McCartan but the Imps striker was beaten to the ball by Lee Nicholls.

Minutes later, George Williams did well to prevent McCartan from latching onto Akinde’s header before the Lincoln number 17 forced Nicholls into his first save - the Liverpudlian did well to tip McCartan’s improvised attempt over his crossbar.

MK Dons enjoyed a spell of dominance in the 10th minute and forced a corner from Williams’ cross. Watson’s initial delivery was cleared but a return ball in saw Aneke force a save out of Josh Vickers with a header.

Jordan Houghton had a low drive blocked two minutes on, as did Alex Gilbey after collecting a ball 25-yards from goal. Cisse then tried his luck with a left-footed volley from distance which landed just wide of left upright.

Lincoln were then awarded a free-kick on the right edge of the penalty area following a foul on McCartan. Harry Toffolo took the set-piece but his low attempt was claimed by Nicholls.

In the 22nd minute, Houghton got in the way of a strike from Harry Anderson who was then thwarted in the area by Williams after claiming the loose ball. Defender Michael Bostwick later headed wide from a Bruno Andrade corner.

MK Dons then went within a whisker of taking the lead, as Watson collected a pass from Houghton on the edge of the D. The Dons’ number 7 took a touch before curling in a fierce shot which was brilliantly saved by Josh Vickers, diving to his left. The chance resulted in a corner from which Aneke headed over.

Lincoln responded and Lewington was forced to get his body in the way of Anderson’s try. A vital touch from Houghton then prevented a well-placed Akinde from collecting a cutback from Toffolo.

Akinde later had a sniff at a chance after intercepting a backpass from Cisse. The Imps’ leading scorer sent a right-footed shot towards goal but it was deflected wide.

With five minutes left to play in the first half, McCartan found himself behind the MK Dons backline. With Nicholls rushing out of his goal, he tried an ambitious lob - the Dons’ number 1 did enough to put him off and the ball landed on the roof of the net.

MK Dons countered and a delightful lobbed cross from Gilbey was met by the head of Aneke. Vickers made the save for the hosts - not that it would have counted anyway with the linesman’s flag up for offside.

Aneke, whose effort was the last of the first half, had the first shot following the interval - a right-footed strike which was blocked behind for a corner.

Tisdale’s men went even closer in the 54th minute from a Gilbey cross which was crucially turned behind by a Lincoln defender as Watson was lurking behind him for a simple tap in.

The Dons boss made a double substitution on 57 minutes - both with clear attacking intent as he brought on two strikers in Agard and Healey. Gilbey and Houghton made way for the duo - the latter on a booking.

They were forced into some defending, though, on the hour mark - Williams doing well to clear away on the edge of his six-yard box before Akinde headed over for the Imps shortly after. The Imps target man then saw a left-footed effort of his deflect wide of Nicholls’ left post.

The match was finely poised but with 25 minutes remaining, MK Dons edged in front courtesy of substitute Healey, who latched onto a through pass and then fired a fierce shot past Vickers from the tightest of angles - a brilliant way for the Cardiff City man to score his first league goal for the Club. 0-1.

Lincoln attempted an immediate response but full-back Neal Eardley blasted over when unmarked on the edge of the area.

They did, though, equalise, in the 71st-minute through McCartan, who collected a header down and then fired a drive past the helpless Nicholls and into the top corner. 1-1.

MK Dons responded brilliantly and had the ball in the net in the 76th minute but Healey was flagged offside as he latched onto Aneke’s parried effort - Vickers did well to save the shot from Aneke.

Aneke had another opportunity with 10 minutes remaining, meeting a cross from Agard but heading straight at Vickers.

That was Aneke’s last involvement in the action as he was withdrawn for Osman Sow, who came on for his first league appearance of the season.

In the final minute of regulation time, Andrade cut inside and fired a shot off target. Four minutes were then added by the match officials and in the first of those, Akinde headed wide from six yards out.

Two minutes later, Sow produced a save out of Vickers from Healey’s cross. Lincoln were then awarded a late corner and from that they won the game - Jason Shackell the man heading into the net at the far post. 2-1.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Williams, Moore-Taylor, Walsh; Brittain, Houghton (Agard 57), Lewington (c); Cisse, Gilbey (Healey 57); Aneke (Sow 82).

Unused subs: Moore, Hancox, Cargill, Simpson.

Goal: Healey (65)

Booked: Houghton, Watson, Walsh, Lewington, Sow

Referee: S Attwell

Attendance: 9,322 (559 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account