Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Under-18s 1-6 Northampton Town

Young Dons defeated at Woughton on the Green...

8 October 2018

MK Dons Under-18s endured a tough day at the office as they lost 6-1 at home to Northampton Town in their latest Youth Alliance League match at Woughton-on-the-Green.

On a wet and chilly day, the Dons never recovered from conceding two goals inside the opening 10 minutes as they fell to a home deafeat.

After heading into the break at 3-0 down, the Dons pulled one back from the spot early in the second half before the Cobblers struck three more times to complete an emphatic win.

The Cobblers took the lead three minutes in when a corner kick came to the Northampton number seven inside the box and his rising half-volley went into the net – 0-1.

Four minutes later, an opportunistic 25-yard strike from a Northampton player went into the top of the net to double the away side’s advantage – 0-2.

The Dons were reduced to efforts from range in the opening half hour, with Sorinola’s bending effort over the bar midway through the half the pick of these.

Alfie Jones made a good block from close range on the half hour mark but four minutes later the Dons keeper had his goal breached again as the Northampton number 11 hit a shot from the edge of the box into the top corner – 0-3.

A second good chance from outside the box came the Dons way on 43 minutes as John Freeman’s low shot from distance was parried away by the Cobblers keeper.

Dons number nine James Holmes could only find the side netting with an effort on 53 minutes after he was put through inside the box by first half sub Ollie Leach.

Three minutes later, the Dons did get a goal back from the penalty spot as Jay Bird sent the Cobblers keeper the wrong way after the hosts were given a spot-kick for a foul tackle on one of their players inside the area – 1-3.

Any hopes of a comeback were extinguished a couple of minutes later as the visitors restored their three goal lead when a low ball from the right was converted from just a couple of yards out – 1-4.

There was no let-up by the side from Northamptonshire and four minutes later they struck again from a set piece as a header from seven yards out went into the ground before bouncing up and into the net – 1-5.

The pick of Northampton’s goals came in the 70th minute as a well-struck right-footed shot from range flew into the net past the helpless Jones – 1-6.

Speaking after the match, Interim Academy Manager Simon Dwight - who stepped in to lead the Under-18s while regular coach Edu Rubio was overseas completing a refresher course for his coaching badges - said: “There were patches in the game where we played quite well and we did have spells where we threatened the Northampton goal but we came up against a good disciplined side that pressed high and fast and forced us into mistakes.

“We conceded two early goals in the first seven minutes and had to recover and come out again. There was a good spell of end-to-end football where we reacted well but once the third goal went in heads dropped so we had to regroup at half-time and go again.

“There were positives – some good individual performances and it solidified for me that we need to work on team skills, communication and the collective knowledge of where people are on the pitch.”

Starting XI: Jones, Sorinola (Rowley 77), Brennan, Wright, Hourican-Harvey (Leach 37), Sale, Ackom (Robinson 64), Freeman (Davies 71), Bird, Pattison.

Unused sub: Rose.

Goal: Bird (56 pen).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account