Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

Nothing to separate MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon at Stadium MK…

13 January 2018

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

Nothing to separate MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon at Stadium MK…

13 January 2018

The spoils were shared as MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon played out a goalless draw at Stadium MK.

Both teams had chances to claim all three points but neither were able to break the deadlock - Conor McGrandles and Robbie Muirhead had the Dons’ best chances while AFC Wimbledon went close through Andy Barcham late on.

Boss Robbie Neilson made two changes to the side who beat Queens Park Rangers in the Emirates FA Cup. Ike Ugbo was unavailable for selection and was replaced by Kieran Agard while Ethan Ebanks-Landell came in for the injured Joe Walsh.

Four minutes in, the Dons had a great chance to take the the lead but McGrandles couldn’t convert from close-range after Chuks Aneke did well to keep the ball in play and hook the ball into an area for the Dons midfielder to attack.

AFC Wimbledon then went close themselves as Andy Barcham’s cross deflected off Ebanks-Landell. Fortunately, the Dons defender was able to clear off the line after the ball struck the post.

The Dons then dealt with an AFC Wimbledon free-kick before Robbie Muirhead came close to latching into Aneke’s hooked pass forward.

On 15 minutes, Lyle Taylor flashed a left-footed shot wide of the post as AFC Wimbledon continued to offer an attacking threat. The Dons were too and some miscommunication at the back almost created an opportunity for Agard but Barry Fuller was able to get the ball clear.

Such was the end-to-end nature of the early proceedings, AFC Wimbledon had the next chance on goal - an effort from Cody McDonald which hit the side netting. A minute later, an opportunity fell to Aneke, who drove into the area before seeing his left-footed shot blocked.

AFC Wimbledon soon came forward again and George Francomb lifted a shot over the bar. Agard then flicked a Brittain cross wide on the half-hour mark before Muirhead went agonisingly close with a fierce effort from distance which Joe McDonnell did well to palm over - the resulting corner led to a goalmouth scramble that the visitors were just able to survive.

Just before half-time, Nadjim Abdou sent a drive over the bar from 18-yards out. The same man had the first chance of the second period and again he was off target with his attempt.

Agard was well placed for a shot at goal in the 49th minute but his low, right-footed effort was blocked by a defender. Taylor and Scott Wootton then both produced saves out of Nicholls and McDonnell respectively, the former with a header from Muirhead’s corner.

On 63 minutes, Gilbey tried his luck from long range before Neilson introduced Sam Nombe and Peter Pawlett off the bench with his first substitutions of the afternoon.

The Dons boss then saw his side have penalty appeals waved away as Agard appeared to be dragged down inside the area - nothing, though, was given by referee Paul Tierney.

With 15 minutes to play, Nicholls was called into action to superbly deny Jonathan Meades, whose header looked destined to find the far corner. Moments later, Gilbey had a left-footed strike deflected wide of McDonnell’s goal.

Substitute Harry Forrester saw a deflected attempt loop over the crossbar in the closing stages but his teammate Barcham had an even better chance with a minute remaining in regulation time - the winger was six-yards out when he collected the ball but his tame effort was straight at Nicholls.

Three minutes of stoppage time were awarded but neither side were able to fashion an opportunity to snatch a late victory.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Brittain, Wootton, Ebanks-Landell, Williams; McGrandles (Pawlett 65), Cisse; Gilbey (C), Aneke, Muirhead (Nombe 65); Agard (Thomas-Asante 80).

Unused subs: Sietsma, Upson, Seager, Kasumu.

Booked: Pawlett

Referee: P Tierney

Attendance: 9,504 (705 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account