Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Dons beaten by the Addicks...

17 February 2018

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Dons beaten by the Addicks...

17 February 2018

Goals from Charlton Athletic pair Ahmed Kashi and Josh Magennis saw MK Dons defeated at Stadium MK.

Kashi struck from 30-yards to open the scoring before Magennis doubled the visitors lead with a header 15 minutes into the second half.

Kieran Agard pulled one back just a minute later but they weren’t able to build on the goal, eventually slipping to another frustrating defeat.

Dan Micciche made four changes to the side which lost 1-0 at Oldham Athletic in midweek. Elliott Ward came into the starting XI along with Callum Brittain, Conor McGrandles and Kieran Agard.

The Dons made a positive start. Agard burst through into the Charlton area inside the minute but his cross for Ike Ugbo was blocked. Brittain then got free down the right flank but his delivery was gathered by Ben Amos.

Micciche’s men got through again on six minutes, this time with Josh Tymon, whose low cross was palmed away by Amos.

The Dons were having a lot of joy early on but despite their dominant start they fell behind in the 10th minute courtesy of a stunning strike from Ahmed Kashi, who found the net from 30-yards out. 0-1.

Having conceded against the run of play, the Dons looked to get back on level terms as soon as possible. There was a half chance for Agard on 14 minutes but the striker wasn’t able to truly threaten Amos with a right-footed shot inside the area.

The Dons’ next threat came when Robbie Muirhead delivered a free-kick into the area - Charlton, though, were able to deal with the danger. At the other end, Reeves tried his luck at doubling the Addicks’ advantage but his left-footed curler was blocked on its way to goal by Ward.

A great opportunity fell the way of Charlton defender Patrick Bauer on the half-hour mark but he headed over from Reeves’ cross. Bauer had another headed chance four minutes later - this looping effort was gathered on the line by Lee Nicholls.

Just before the break, Reeves let fly with a left-footed effort from distance which Nicholls watched wide of his upright - the final shot of a disappointing first-half.

Micciche replaced McGrandles with Ed Upson at the break and his side started the second half well. It was the Addicks, though, who would have register the first attempt of the half - a right-footed strike from Joe Aribo which cannoned off the outside of the right post.

The Dons responded through Ugbo, who forced Amos into a save with a header from close-range. A goal wouldn’t have stood, however, as referee Roger East spotted a foul by Cisse in the build-up.

Brittain then went mightily close on 57 minutes with a left-footed volley from Cisse’s cross which Amos kept out. The Charlton keeper did well, after, to gather the loose ball before Ugbo could pounce.

Just as it appeared the Dons were clawing themselves back into the game, Charlton doubled their lead through Josh Magennis, who headed in at the far post from Jake Forster-Caskey’s cross. 0-2.

Magennis’ finish left Micciche’s men with it all to do in the final half an hour but they didn’t take long to pull a goal back. Less than 60 seconds after conceding, the Dons earned themselves a corner from which a Muirhead delivery was flicked on by Williams to a lurking Agard, who headed home. 1-2.

Willed on by a now buoyant Stadium MK crowd, the Dons pushed forward in search of an equaliser.

There as a chance for Ugbo on 65 minutes but his effort was blocked by a sliding defender inside the box. Muirhead also went close with a first-time shot which was saved by Amos.

Forster-Caskey threatened a third Charlton goal with five minutes let to play, sending a fierce drive just wide of the right post. The Addicks then had a glorious opportunity to secure victory in the 88th minute but Magennis was denied by a strong right-hand from Nicholls.

The Dons pushed and pushed in the closing stages but they weren’t able to create a chance of note, leaving them still six points adrift of safety in Sky Bet League One.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Williams, Ward, Lewington (C); Brittain, McGrandles (Upson 46), Cisse (Nesbitt 61), Muirhead (Rasulo 86), Tymon; Ugbo; Agard.

Unused subs: Sietsma, Wootton, Jackson, Thomas-Asante.

Goal: Agard (62)

Booked: Upson

Attendance: 8,961 (1,194 away)

Referee: R East

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account