Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Hyde United 0-4 MK Dons

Robbie Neilson's men progress in the Emirates FA Cup...

3 November 2017

Match Reports

Report: Hyde United 0-4 MK Dons

Robbie Neilson's men progress in the Emirates FA Cup...

3 November 2017

MK Dons progressed into the Second Round of the Emirates FA Cup courtesy of a comfortable 4-0 victory at Hyde United.

Superb first-half strikes from Aidan Nesbitt and Chuks Aneke were added to by goals from Ethan Ebanks-Landell and Ed Upson, as Robbie Neilson's side booked their place in Monday's draw.

Neilson fielded a strong side which featured just four changes from the Sky Bet League One clash with Bristol Rovers. There was also a return for Peter Pawlett - back in the matchday squad for the first time since 2nd September.

Roared on by a passionate home crowd, Hyde won themselves an early corner although it resulted in a free-kick being awarded for a foul on Lee Nicholls. The Tigers then sent a ball into the area after a break down the left but Joe Walsh was there to head away.

Despite those early openings, it was the Dons who dominated possession in the first 15 minutes and with their first chance of the match, they look the lead - Aidan Nesbitt was the scorer, curling home a beauty into the top right-hand corner of the net from 18-yards. 0-1.

A minute after breaking the deadlock, Nesbitt almost set up Kieran Agard for a second but the striker’s header was saved by Peter Crook. The United goalkeeper later kept out Ryan Seager’s curling effort.

Agard fired over on the half-hour mark as the Dons continued to test their hosts resilience. At the other end, after being brought down on the edge of the D, Big Khamsuk sent a free-kick wide of the right post before drilling a loose ball over the crossbar shortly afterwards.

Nicholls was forced into his first save six minutes before the break as he got down quickly to smother a ball in from Tom Pratt. The Dons then went straight up the other end and threatened with Callum Brittain, who shot wide from the edge of the area.

The Dons had a great chance to double their advantage in the final minute of the first half but Seager, after being played in by Aneke, was denied by a strong Crook save.

Fortunately, they were handed another opportunity in stoppage time and this time, they took advantage. After a foul inside the D, the Dons were awarded a free-kick and Aneke curled home a superb curling effort to give his side a healthy two-goal advantage at the break. 0-2.

Neilson’s men maintained their dominance at the start of the second half and Seager caused problems with a low ball into the box from the right. Aneke then went close to doubling his tally with a looping header which fell just wide of the left post.

With 59 minutes on the clock, Hyde’s Harry Coates was presented with a great chance to reduce the deficit but he headed over from six-yards out.

Seager then broke through the hosts’ backline and had a fantastic opportunity of his own but he couldn’t beat Crook when one-on-one.

Nesbitt, bright all evening, had a deflected effort palmed over the bar by Crook on 65 minutes. From Upson’s resulting corner, Ebanks-Landell fired home a loose ball to extend the lead to three - his second goal for the Club. 0-3.

The travelling Dons supporters soon had another reason to cheer as Pawlett was introduced for his first appearance in two months.

Four minutes later, they were then celebrating a fourth goal. Aneke beat a host of Hyde defenders with a powerful run through the middle before he unselfishly teed up Upson, who cooly slotted home into the far left corner. 0-4.

To their credit, an unfazed Hyde side continued to attack and they went close to a consolation goal in the 81st minute. They almost conceded a fifth, though, when Agard hit the post with a low drive after some excellent work by Pawlett.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Brittain, Ebanks-Landell, Walsh, Williams; Upson, Gilbey (c) (McGrandles 76); Agard, Aneke (Nombe 76), Nesbitt; Seager (Pawlett 69).

Unused subs: Sietsma, Wootton, Ariyibi, Muirhead.

Goals: Nesbitt (14), Aneke (45+1), Ebanks-Landell (68), Upson (73)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account