Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Barnet U18s 1-3 MK Dons U18s

Goals from Tommy Hope and Dylan Asonganyi ‘s brace see Edu Rubio’s side progress...

15 November 2017

MK Dons Under-18s progressed through to the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup¬ after overcoming their Barnet counterparts 3-1 at The Hive.

Dylan Asonganyi scored the winning goal for Edu Rubio’s side early in the second half after the striker capitalised on a short back pass from the Barnet defence.

It wasn’t all plain sailing, however, as Rubio’s side had to come from behind after an early penalty gave the hosts the lead.

The victory sets up a Third Round tie against Cardiff City at Stadium MK.

Rubio’s starting XI was unchanged from the First Round win over Southend United containing the likes of David Kasumu, Finn Tapp, Jay Bird and top goalscorer Asonganyi.

In what was an understandably nervy opening few minutes for both sides possession was exchanged a number of times before Liam Sole saw the first chance of the game. His shot deflected behind for a corner that was dealt with well by Barnet keeper Renell McKenzie-Lyle.

It was indeed Danny Senda’s side who took the lead courtesy of a penalty. Adinna was fouled inside the area before the striker converted his penalty past Nathan Pickworth giving Barnet the lead 12 minutes into the tie.

Sole came close just three minutes later, his driven effort was acrobatically saved by McKenzie-Lyle before the youngster saw is rebounded deflected behind for a corner.

The Bees lead didn’t last much longer as on 18 minutes Rubio’s side drew level. Bradley Bell’s quick-feet drew a free-kick, which the midfielder confidently floated into the box for Tommy Hope to head home levelling the scores in the process.

The Barnet defence stood firm to Dons’ pressure as minutes later Sole had the chance to tap home into an empty net only for Dwight Pascal to superbly deny the Dons man. Shortly after, Asonganyi tested McKenzie-Lyle with the goalkeeper saving well from the striker to keep the scores level at the break.

With neither side able to find a breakthrough in the opening stages of the second-half it took until 57 minutes for the boys from MK1 to take the lead. Asonganyi’s constant pressure finally paid off as the striker capitalised on a loose back pass before rounding the keeper to tap home into an empty net.

Dons retained possession well and patiently waited for gaps in the Barnet defence to expose. One appeared after Kasumu and Asonganyi combine well to free Sole. The winger came within inches of putting the game to bed with 20 minutes left.

It didn’t take much longer for Rubio’s side to do just that however as Asonganyi netted his second goal of the game hammering home past McKenzie-Lyle with just nine minutes to go. 

Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Pickworth; Ackom (Hourian-Harvey 46), Tapp (c), Hope, Sorinola; Pattison (Wright), Kasumu; Bell, Bird, Sole (Evans 76); Asonganyi.

Unused subs: Jones, Martin.

Goal: Hope (18), Asonganyi (57, 81)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account