Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 0-1 Scunthorpe

14 April 2017

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 0-1 Scunthorpe

14 April 2017

MK Dons fell to their first defeat in six games after going down 1-0 at home to promotion-chasing Scunthorpe United.

Ivan Toney’s first-half header won it for the visitors, who offered little else going forward but stood firm in defence to deny the men from MK1.

Robbie Neilson’s men had started well while they finished on top too – the closest they came was through Stuart O’Keefe and Leicester City loanee Harvey Barnes.

Callum Brittain was handed his first league start while Giorgio Rasulo and Robbie Muirhead also came into the starting XI.

The Dons started brightly, passing the ball around well and dominating the territorial advantage as the game ticked towards 10 minutes.

On the stroke of that time, Brittain created the first opportunity of the afternoon when he crossed for Ed Upson, who saw an acrobatic effort saved by Joe Anyon.

Despite having arguably less to play more than their opponents, the Dons looked hungry and were making the Iron work extremely for any possession at all.

The visitors did fashion a chance on 18 minutes when they good play set up Toney, who sent his effort just past the left-hand post, although Lee Nicholls had it covered anyway.

Unfortunately there was nothing Nicholls could do on 29 minutes when Toney powered home a header from Josh Morris’ corner.

The men from MK1 responded through O’Keefe, who shot off target from distance, before Rasulo almost returned the favour as he looked to pick out George Baldock in the box.

Looking for a leveller, Barnes burst forward at the start of the second half but could only really warm the hands of Anyon from distance.

Shortly afterwards, a lucky break handed an opportunity to Rasulo, who did well to find O’Keefe but he was crowded out at the crucial time.

The latter went close less than a minute later when he fired a shot into the side-netting from 15 yards after Barnes had brought the ball down.

Ben Reeves was introduced not long before the hour mark as Robbie Neilson looked to freshen up his attack while, at the other end, Paddy Madden dragged a shot wide on the counter attack.

With just over 20 minutes remaining, Barnes let fly but couldn’t test Anyon before Dean Lewington put in a dangerous cross although the Iron keeper was again up to the challenge.

Barnes went close to an equaliser on 83 minutes but his shot was well saved by the legs of Anyon after a neat flick from substitute Brandon Thomas-Asante had played him in, meaning the Dons left empty-handed.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Baldock, Williams, Walsh, Lewington (c); Rasulo (Agard 65), O’Keefe, Upson; Brittain (Reeves 56), Barnes, Muirhead (Thomas-Asante 78).

Unused subs: Martin, Downing, Tilney, Potter.

Attendance: 9,274 (670 Scunthorpe fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account