Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Scottish loan duo enjoy four-goal delights

3 May 2016

Lee Hodson and Simon Church both enjoyed four-goal successes in Scotland this past weekend.

Hodson’s Kilmarnock put in a stunning performance to beat Hamilton Academical 4-0 and close the gap on them to four points in the race to avoid the relegation play-off place in the Scottish Premiership.

The right-back made his 10th league appearance for Killie, helping them keep a third clean sheet in four games, which provided the foundation for the impressive triumph – Greg Kiltie, Kris Boyd and Josh Magennis grabbed the goals, the former netting a brace.

Kilmarnock host ninth-placed Partick Thistle on Saturday afternoon.

Meanwhile, Church and Aberdeen beat Motherwell 4-1 to delay Celtic’s almost inevitable Scottish Premiership celebrations.

The striker was on the field as the Dons raced out to a two-goal half-time lead courtesy of Kenny McLean and Niall McGinn’s goals, but was forced off just before the break with an injury. Adam Rooney and former Don Jonny Hayes scored in the second half for Aberdeen.

Saturday’s win keeps Church and Co within nine points of leaders Celtic with three games remaining but with the goal difference between the two a massive 35 in the favour of the Bhoys, any chance of surpassing them is extremely slim.

Elsewhere, Kabongo Tshimanga made his debut for Icelandic Premier Division side Throttur Reykjavik on Sunday evening.

The striker, who has joined the Nordic outfit on loan until mid-July, came off the bench with 10 minutes remaining in the season opener against FH but couldn’t prevent a 3-0 defeat – Steven Lennon, Atli Viðar Björnsson and Atli Gudhnason grabbed the goals for the visitors.

Teammate Callum Brittain played a full 90 minutes for the Under-19s in their Reykjavik Youth Cup decider against Fjolnir.

Throttur were two points above their rivals heading into Saturday’s clash but were beaten 3-2, with the hosts scoring a last minute goal to secure the cup.

Brittain will now be looking to make his first appearance for the first-team alongside Tshimanga when Throttur Reykjavik entertain KR at Gervigrasvöllur Laugardal this Sunday.

Back in the UK, Giorgio Rasulo helped Aldershot Town end their National League campaign on a high with victory at Bromley.

The young midfielder played the entire 90 minutes for the Shots, who ran out 3-1 winners thanks to Charlie Walker’s brace and an own goal from Sean Francis. Ali Fuseini grabbed the home side’s only goal in the first half.
Rasulo leaves Hampshire having made 11 appearances, all of which have been starts. He also scored one goal during his time with Aldershot, in a 4-3 defeat to Grimsby Town back in early April.

Also in action for the last time this season was Ben Tilney, who helped Brackley Town survive relegation on a dramatic final day in the National League North.

The Saints needed to win at home to Tamworth and hope Lowestoft Town failed to beat Gloucester City in order to jump out of the drop zone and that’s exactly what happened on Saturday afternoon.

Brackley did their part with a 1-0 win at St. James’s Park, while in Suffolk, Lowestoft Town were held to a 1-1 draw – two results which secures Brackley’s status in the National League North for another season.

Tilney played the final 15 minutes for the Northamptonshire outfit, helping to calm the nerves as they held on to that slender lead given to them by Glenn Walker early in the second half.

Unfortunately, Harry Hickford and Hemel Hempstead Town couldn’t enjoy similar delight in their season finale against Whitehawk.

A win for Hemel would have secured them a spot in the National League South play-offs at the expense of Whitehawk, but the Hertfordshire club were beaten 3-0 at their Vauxhall Road ground.

Hickford was an unused substitute for Hemel.

Advertisement block