Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Lee’s Killie come close to denying Celtic

22 March 2016

Lee Hodson and Kilmarnock came within minutes of holding Scottish Premiership leaders Celtic on Saturday.

Killie denied the Bhoys for 90 minutes at Rugby Park and looked on course to pick up a valuable results until Tom Rogic scored an incredible long-range strike in stoppage time to snatch all three points for his side.

Hodson was making his eighth appearance for Kilmarnock, who remain in the Scottish Premiership relegation play-off zone heading into the final two games of the campaign, five points adrift of 10th placed Motherwell.

The right-back has now joined up with Northern Ireland ahead of their two upcoming international friendlies, the first of which takes place in Cardiff against Wales this Thursday.

Simon Church would have had an eye on the result at Rugby Park, with his Aberdeen side still holding aspirations of beating the Hoops to the Scottish Premiership title.

However, their hopes were dealt a blow on Saturday as they were beaten 2-1 by Motherwell – a result which affects his teammate Hodson and his loan side Kilmarnock’s survival chances.

The Dons took the lead through Kenny McLean’s penalty before Church skimmed the crossbar with an overhead kick. Motherwell, though, came from behind in dramatic style to deny Aberdeen, with goals coming courtesy of Scott McDonald and Louis Moult.

Saturday’s defeat leaves Aberdeen four points adrift of Celtic heading into the final two games.

Attention for Church, though, now turns to international duty as he links up with Wales for their two forthcoming friendlies against Northern Ireland (Thursday) and Ukraine (Monday).

Tom Hitchcock came off the bench for Sky Bet League 1 side Crewe Alexandra and almost helped them to a draw against Blackpool.

The striker won a penalty off Tangerines midfielder Brad Potts in stoppage time but Crewe’s Brad Inman blazed the spot-kick over the crossbar, condemning the Railwaymen to a 2-1 loss.

Jack Redshaw headed the Seasiders ahead but Crewe levelled through Marcus Haber on 83 minutes, only for Tom Aldred's deflected shot to restore Blackpool's advantage 60 seconds later.

The Alex stay 23rd in League 1 and are now eight points from safety. They visit Sheffield United this coming Friday afternoon.

Giorgio Rasulo returned to the starting XI for Aldershot Town, but couldn’t prevent them suffering a loss at Altrincham.

The mid-table Shots fell behind to a Damien Reeves finish before further goals from Josh Ginnelley, Jake Moult and Jordan Sinnott completed a disappointing afternoon for the visiting side.

Rasulo played 82 minutes for the National League outfit before being replaced by Rhys Browne. He and his teammates will want to bounce back on Good Friday when they travel to Forest Green Rovers

Harry Hickford also endured a difficult afternoon on Saturday for Hemel Hempstead Town, as they were comprehensively by National League South side Ebbsfleet.

The Fleet hit six past Hemel at Stonebridge Road to dent their play-off hopes – the Tudors are now five points adrift of the top five but have played two games less.

Hickford and co play one of those games in hand this evening at mid-table Whitehawk.

Kabongo Tshimanga enjoyed more success than any of his other Dons teammates, aiding Chesham United in their 1-0 win over Chippenham Town at the Meadow.

Tshimanga was brought by manager Andy Leese in the second half to help see out the victory, which was given to the Clarets by Stephan Hamilton-Forbes in the 21st minute.

The win keeps Chesham comfortably above the bottom four heading into their 10 games of the campaign. They host Leamington at the Meadow this evening.

Meanwhile, Tom Wyant was an unused substitute for Biggleswade United in their Spartan South Midlands League Premier Divsion defeat to Leverstock Green.

Advertisement block