Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: U18s 3-2 Posh

18 January 2016

Milton Keynes Dons Under-18s recovered from conceding two goals in the opening 10 minutes to win 3-2 against Peterborough United.

The fixture was once again played on the 3G surface at the Sir Herbert Leon Academy in Bletchley because of recent bad weather, as goals from captain Adam Hunt, Brandon Thomas-Asante and Peter Kioso helped the Dons recover from what was an initially perilous position.

Peterborough took the lead just three minutes in as a corner from the right-hand side was headed in at the far post by the visitors number five who was unmarked – 0-1.

Three minutes later, Posh doubled their lead in similar style as a cross from the right-hand side was headed in just to the left of the penalty spot by a visiting player who was once again left unmarked – 0-2.

The Dons began to find their way back into the contest however the side from Cambridgeshire continued to look threatening, and Dons keeper Tom Wyant was forced into a good double save inside the box to deny the visitors number 11.

The hosts best chance came in the 24th minute as Thomas-Asante got in behind and forced a save from the keeper from a tight angle.

Just before the break, the Dons found their way back into proceedings as a free-kick from skipper Hunt was whipped into the box and found its way through and into the net without a touch from anyone else – 1-2.

Parity was restored three minutes after half-time as a through-ball found right-midfielder Thomas-Asante, who finished calmly under the keeper to make the match all square at 2-2.

The Dons had all the momentum and could have taken the lead a few minutes later as a shot from range following a corner was fumbled by the keeper, however from close range centre-half Joe Steele could only find the side netting with his effort.

In an increasingly end-to-end game, Peterborough then broke upfield and forced Wyant into a save, with the keeper’s parry hitting a yellow shirt and thankfully from the Dons point of view going wide of goal.

Chances were coming with more regularity for the hosts and a few minutes later a cross from the left found number nine Sam Nombe on the penalty spot, however the Posh keeper saved the shot with his feet to keep the scores level.

The pressure paid off for the Dons as they completed the turnaround in the 74th minute with a cross from the left that was headed in at the far post by unmarked right-back Kioso to make it 3-2.

Posh continued to pose a threat and could have equalised with five minutes remaining as a free-kick whipped in from the left led to a spot of penalty box pinball, however the Dons were able to hold on for a hard-earned victory in which they showcased all their battling qualities.

After the match, Dons Director of Youth Mike Dove said: “I was very disappointed that we got caught out from a set-piece and then allowed a free header early on because that was something we had worked on.

“I felt we were being overrun so I changed the shape to three at the back and man-marked in midfield. Later in the first half and into the second we dominated. It really helped to get a goal just before the break.

“I think we will be in the bottom half of the merit league this season but that doesn’t matter too much. It’s important that we get good performances from the second years and I felt that we did today so I’m pleased on that front. I felt that concentration and hard work were the keys to us getting back into the match.”

MK Dons (4-2-1-3): Wyant: Kioso, Steele, Jackson, Stratton: Hunt (capt), Hadden-Becker: Furlong: Thomas-Asante, Owusu (Logan 89), Nombe (Osei-Bonsu 77).

Subs not used: McCorkell, Omar.

Goals: Hunt 45+2, Thomas-Asante 48, Kioso 75.

Referee: Alex Winter Botham.

Advertisement block