Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/12/2016

3 December 2016

Match Reports

Match Report : 03/12/2016

3 December 2016

Report: Charlton Athletic 0-0 MK Dons

MK Dons and Charlton Athletic will replay their Emirates FA Cup Second Round tie after a stalemate at The Valley.

The men from MK1 controlled the encounter for large periods but were unable to turn their dominance into a success, as the Club’s new manager Robbie Neilson and assistant Stevie Crawford watched on from the stands.

Ben Reeves for Daniel Powell was the only change made by Richie Barker, who went head to head with former Dons boss Karl Robinson.

A lively start saw a chance at either end but both Ademola Lookman and Samir Carruthers fired over following promising moves for Charlton and the Dons respectively.

As the game approached 10 minutes, the men from MK1 began to look the more likely and Dean Bowditch flicked a header on to the roof of the net from a corner.

Dons’ No.9 then curled an effort wide of the left-hand post after nice build-up play involving Reeves and Kieran Agard, who set up the chance.

Reeves then missed by inches as he aimed to place an effort into the far corner after another impressive move from the Dons.

The bright start continued and George Baldock probably should have given Dons the lead but he shot straight at Dillon Phillips after latching on to a clever through-ball.

Charlton managed to stem the tide temporarily but the Dons came again and Phillips had to push away a dangerous cross from Reeves before Upson shot over the top from 25 yards after Barker’s side had kept the pressure on.

The men from MK1 limited the Addicks to next to nothing in the first half and the second period started in the same fashion, with Kieran Agard seeing an ambitious effort saved by Phillips.

It took Charlton until the 53rd minute to register a shot on target, and then two came in the space of just 60 seconds – firstly, David Martin did well to deny Josh Magennis before he comfortably saved from Nicky Ajose.

Dons responded through a free-kick from Reeves, who forced Phillips into a save as he aimed to curl the ball over the wall and into the top right-hand corner.

The game began to open up as it ticked past the hour mark and it continued to be the Dons who looked the more threatening - Bowditch drawing a smart stop after cutting in from the left.

Agard had the ball in the net with 20 minutes remaining when he headed home a cross from the impressive Darren Potter but it was ruled out for offside.

At the other end, Lookman curled a 20-yard free-kick just wide of the left-hand post before Ryan Colclough and Daniel Powell were introduced for the Dons – Bowditch went up top as the focal point of the front three.

Colclough was involved immediately when he shot wide from 20 yards, but there was a better chance on 85 minutes for Charlton’s Lookman, who saw his effort superbly deflected behind by Baldock.

The Dons should have won it in injury-time but Colclough scuffed his effort after good work from Powell before Bowditch saw the rebound blocked on the line. So close!

That proved to be the last chance of the afternoon, meaning the game ended in a draw and, subsequently, a replay which will take place in the week commencing Monday 12th December – a confirmed date, kick-off time and ticket details will be announced in due course.

Starting XI: Martin; Baldock, Walsh, Downing, Lewington (c); Potter, Upson, Carruthers (Powell 78); Bowditch, Reeves, Agard (Colclough 78).

Unused subs: Nicholls, GB Williams, Hendry, Aneke, Tshimanga.

Bookings: Potter, Baldock, Downing.

Attendance: 4,982 (639 Dons fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account