Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: U18s 4-2 Barnet

23 November 2015

The Under-18s produced an impressive and dominant display as they came from behind to beat Barnet 4-2 on Saturday morning.

Goals in the last 10 minutes from Juma Omar and Adam Hunt helped the Dons to all three points from their clash at Woughton-on-the-Green, after Callum Brittain and Peter Kioso had scored either side of half-time.

It was Barnet who took the lead just eight minutes into the game after a ball through found their number seven and he hammered the ball into the top right hand corner of the net from the edge of the box. 0-1.

Despite going a goal down, the Dons started to dominate proceedings and they had a number of efforts on goal, with Hunt and Jack Hadden both having shots from distance parried away.

On 35 minutes Connor Furlong, playing in the number ten position, had the pick of the Dons’ long-range efforts as his shot from 30-yards out hit the angle of post and bar before bouncing to safety.

The Dons deserved an equaliser and just before the half-time whistle they found it. After Hadden saw an effort thump off the bar, Brittain showed great instinct to make sure the ball crossed the goal-line after it bounced down off the woodwork. 1-1.

Things then got better for Dove’s side seven minutes after the break as they put their noses in front for the first time when a ball across a crowded penalty area was bundled in by Kioso. 2-1.

The Dons were continuing to create chances, almost at will, with forward Sam Nombe going close to adding a third with a great effort on 55 minutes as his smart attempt at a back-heeled finish inside the box went just wide of the post.

Against the run of play, though, Barnet found an equaliser when, on 73 minutes, a goal-kick forward evaded all the Dons outfield players before bouncing nicely for a Bees striker who finished into the bottom left corner of the goal. 2-2.

Determined not to let the visitors’ leveller effect their dominance on the game, the Dons went in search of an immediate response – one which they got in the 82nd minute when Omar headed in a corner from the right side. 3-2.

Dons were then had the chance to extend their advantage and secure the contest with just two minutes remaining when they were awarded a penalty for a foul on substitute Brandon Thomas-Asante.

Captain Adam Hunt stepped up and slotted the ball calmly into the bottom right hand corner of the net to make the score more representative of the balance of play. 4-2.

After the game Dons Director of Youth Mike Dove said: “In the first fifteen minutes we struggled to make an impact on the game and they scored early. We kept giving the ball away which was frustrating.

“Then we got into it, we started to dominate and got our goal just before the break. I thought the boys were excellent in the second half and I was disappointed we couldn’t stretch our lead when we were 2-1 up.

“We showed real character and mental strength after they got, what was really, a bit of a scrappy equaliser. In the end we got a thoroughly deserved win.”

Starting XI (3-4-1-2): Wyant; Omar, Steele, Jackson; Kioso (Osei-Bonsu 82), Hadden, Hunt (c), Stratton (Thomas-Asante 62); Furlong; Brittain, Nombe.

Subs not used: McCorkell, Owusu, Logan.

Goals: Brittain 44, Kioso 52, Omar 82, Hunt 88 pen.

Referee: James Killen.

Advertisement block