Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Dons 0-0 Bristol City

7 February 2015

The points were shared at stadiummk after two of the division’s top teams played out an enthralling encounter.

Both sides had their chances to take all three points - Dele Alli came the closest to breaking the deadlock in the final few minutes with a 25-yard effort.

Karl Robinson made one change from the 5-0 victory over Crewe Alexandra, recalling Will Grigg to the starting XI in place of Devante Cole.

After a frenetic opening, Carl Baker, again operating in the No.10 role, and Darren Potter both forced smart saves from Frankie Fielding as the Dons began to put the pressure.

That continued when a fantastic ball over the top from Alli ball picked out Grigg who, after bringing the ball down, was thwarted by Fielding after the keeper had raced from his line fifteen minutes in.

Robinson’s men maintained their intensity, pushing their opponents back and asking questions time after time  while, at the other end, Kyle McFadzean got a vital touch to Mark Little’s cross to divert it away from Matt Smith six yards out.

McFadzean was again on hand to clear a dangerous cross before the Dons were forced into an early change with Samir Carruthers replacing the injured Dean Bowditch.

David Martin was called into action on the first real occasion 33 minutes, pulling off a fine double save to deny Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and then Joe Bryan.

The two teams were now going toe-to-toe in a superb battle at stadiummk, but it was the Dons who had the better of the final minutes of the first half with Potter seeing a shot deflect narrowly past the post and Grigg almost gobbling up a mistake from Fielding.

Bristol City were the ones who started the second period on the offensive with Antony Kay throwing his body on his line to block Emmanuel-Thomas’ shot after a quick break, as well as forcing a couple of corners.

As ever, Robinson’s side were still looking a threat when going forward themselves, and Carruthers was the next to threaten but, after beating two men, he was crowded out on 52 minutes.

The Robins enjoyed a spell of pressure around the hour mark but the Dons stood firm and then began to ask questions of their own once again, with Jordan Spence seeing a shot deflected wide of the target and Daniel Powell not being able to quite latch on to Carruthers’ clever pass on 65 minutes.

At the other end, Martin had to be alert to firstly push Emmanuel-Thomas’ fierce drive around the post and then comfortably gather Bryan’s header.

After rejoining the Club on Monday, Keith Andrews was introduced in place of Powell with just under 20 minutes remaining – Alli pushed forward into the No.10 role and Baker moved to the right wing.

Kay’s close-range header brought a save from Fielding from a dangerous Baker free-kick three minutes later as the enthralling encounter continued to ebb and flow.

Fielding got down well to thwart Grigg with 10 minutes remaining after the striker had been picked out by Carruthers, who shortly afterwards seemed to have his shot blocked by the arms of Luke Ayling but referee Craig Poulson waved away the strong appeals.

Alli almost won it for the Dons in the 90th minute with a stunning 25-yard effort which brushed the outside of the right-hand post.

MK Dons: Martin; Spence, Kay, McFadzean, Lewington; Potter, Alli; Powell, Baker, Bowditch (Carruthers 32); Grigg (Cole 88).

Unused subs: McLoughlin, Hodson, Green, Clarke-Harris.

Bookings: McFadzean, Carruthers.

Attendance: 15,642 (5,109 Bristol City fans).

Advertisement block