Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Dag & Red 3-5 U18s

9 September 2014

MK Dons Under-18s came out on top in an eight-goal thriller against Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday to claim a third straight victory.

After a quiet start, the hosts, Dagenham, had the game’s first chance on 8 minutes through the lively and impressive Jodi Jones, but he was denied from close range by Andrew McCorkell.

The Dons, though, took the lead six minutes later courtesy of Kabongo Tshimanga (pictured), who was able to divert his shot past the Daggers keeper with help from a deflection.

Dove’s youngsters continued to dominate following the goal and they doubled their advantage in the 19th minute when Wiltshire shot home from inside the box, after Kevin Owusu had hit the bar.

It could have been 3-0 shortly afterwards but, despite a surging run forward by Jacob Daffern, the second-year scholar failed to hit the target with his shot from distance.

The Dons were looking strong but any thoughts that it would be a comfortable afternoon were quickly vanished when Dagenham pulled a goal back through Jones just before the half-hour mark. The winger broke through the Dons defence before rounding McCorkell and finishing into an empty net.

After the restart, the Dons came within a whisker of re-establishing their two-goal cushion through Owusu, but he couldn’t quite connect with Laurence Vaughan’s teasing right-footed cross.

That Owusu could have proved costly as just eight minutes later, the hosts levelled things up from a corner, following some miscommunication between McCorkell and his defenders.

However, were able to retake the lead shortly just a few minutes later through Connor Furlong, who reacted quickest to Owusu’s blocked shot to slot home his second goal in as many games.

The Daggers keeper then gifted the Dons a crucial fourth goal four minutes later, when he spilt a long distance effort straight into the path of Tshimanga, who gobbled up the chance to score his second of the day.

The hosts, to their credit, refused to let their heads drop and they, again, made things interesting by scoring a third goal through Alfie Moulder.

However, the Dons’ victory was secured nine minutes from time when Aaran Weston stabbed home after Vaughan’s left-footed shot was palmed straight into his path by the Daggers stopper.

There was still time for Dagenham to have one final effort on goal from the penalty spot, but Moulder was denied from 12-yards by McCorkell with what proved to be the final kick of the game.

Starting XI: McCorkell; Daffern, Hunt, Okito; Vaughan, Wiltshire, Weston, Tilney; Furlong (Brittain 67); Owusu (Palmiero 82), Tshimanga.

Subs: Wyant (GK), Jackson, Shultz.

Advertisement block