Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 1-0 Nottm Forest

27 July 2014

Ben Reeves' first-half goal earned MK Dons a 1-0 victory over Nottingham Forest and Dean Lewington a win on his Testimonial.

The Dons were impressive throughout the contest on Sunday afternoon despite facing Championship opposition and they deservedly won the game courtesy of a cool finish from Reeves after just 13 minutes.

Forest had the first chance of the contest after just three minutes when Radoslaw Majewski’s low free-kick was blocked by a four-man Dons wall.

Robinson’s men responded soon after with a free-kick of their own, taken by Danny Green, which was deflected wide of the post.

On 10 minutes, Grigg came within a whisker of opening his Dons account, albeit in pre-season, but despite an impressive leap the forward on loan from Brentford couldn’t connect with Green’s in-swinging cross.

The Dons’strong start continued and just three minutes later they broke the deadlock courtesy of Reeves, who was in the right place at the right time to slot home from Lee Hodson’s inch-perfect cutback.

Forest tried to respond immediately after the re-start with another close-range free-kick which Andy Reid floated onto the roof of the net before Grigg went close to doubling the Dons’ advantage with a header which was well saved by Karl Darlow low down to his right.

Robinson’s side were looking very impressive and they continued to threaten a second goal soon after the half-hour mark, first through Hodson’s low drive and then with a Reeves shot from the edge of the area which was deflected wide.

A water-break and a few treatment stoppages then saw the remainder of the first half played out in a stop-start pace.

Unlike in the first period, Stuart Pearce’s Forest started the second half much brighter and Ben Osborn had a shot deflected just wide of the post within a minute of kick-off.

Striker Lars Veldwijk then produced a fine save out of Martin with a fierce shot from the edge of the area which the Dons ‘keeper did well to palm over his crossbar.

A cagey 15 minutes followed before Forest’s pressure on the Dons goal shot up a notch. Obsorn, first, was denied by the legs of Martin when one-on-one before left-back Stephen McLaughlin stung the goalie's palms with a right-footed shot.

In the 71st minute, Robinson made his first substitution of afternoon, bringing on Daniel Powell in place of Ben Reeves, and the winger went close to making an instant impact with a half-volley which Darlow did well to keep out.

More substitutions followed and, as a result, the game lost it's way towards the finish although there was a nice moment when Lewington was withdrawn with just two minutes remaining to a standing ovation from both sets of supporters, players and officials.

MK Dons (4-2-3-1): Martin; Hodson, McFadzean, Kay (Flanagan 82), Lewington (Hickford 88); Potter (Randall 82), Alli; Green, Reeves (Powell 71), Bowditch (Hitchcock 73); Grigg (Baldock 85).

Subs not used: McLoughlin (GK), Okito.

Goal: Reeves 13

Nottingham Forest: Darlow; Harding, Mancienne (Laing 78), Fox (Collins 71), McLaughlin, Halford, Osborn (Cox 71), Reid (Reid 71), Vaughan, Majewski (Grant 46), Veldwijk (Walker 85).

Subs not used: De Vries (GK), Mackie.

Attendance: 4,121 (1,286)

Advertisement block