Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: MK Dons 4-0 Man Utd

26 August 2014

MK Dons pulled off an almighty cup upset on Tuesday, beating Manchester United 4-0 in front of a crowd of almost 27,000 supporters at stadiummk.

Karl Robinson’s side knocked out the Premier League giants courtesy of braces from Will Grigg and Benik Afobe, with three assists coming from number 10 Ben Reeves.

The result sees the Dons progress to the third round of the Capital One Cup, where they could face another top division outfit.

Robinson made two changes for the clash with the 20-time English champions, bringing David Martin and Samir Carruthers in for Ian McLoughlin and Daniel Powell.

Javier Hernandez, or ‘Chicharito’ as he is affectionately known, was the first to threaten on five minutes when his low drive deflected behind of skipper Dean Lewington.

The Dons began to see more of the ball as the clock ticked towards 15 minutes, with Darren Potter coming the closest for the hosts courtesy of a 20-yard volley.

United were forced into an early substitution following an injury to Shinji Kagawa, who was replaced by the highly-rated Adnan Januzaj on 20 minutes.

Shortly afterwards, Lewington let fly after surging forward from left-back following initial good play from Reeves, who was looking lively in his number 10 role.

And Reeves was heavily involved as the Dons went ahead on 24 minutes. It all started when Jonny, under pressure from Carruthers, gave the ball to the Northern Ireland international, who cut the ball back to his fellow countryman Grigg and he made no mistake from 12 yards. 

Carruthers then tested Spanish international David De Gea with a stinging 25-yard drive while, at the other end, Nick Powell fired an effort over from a similar distance just a minute later.

The Dons defence were more than holding their own against a United attack which included three players who represented their countries at this summer’s World Cup – Chicharito (Mexico), Danny Welbeck (England) and Januzaj (Belgium).

That continued up until the half-time whistle as the men from MK1 went in leading the Premier League giants.

Referee Stuart Attwell waved away strong penalty appeals from the Dons players at the start of the second half after a Dean Bowditch shot seemed to strike the hand of Evans.

That proved to be Bowditch’s last real involvement as he was replaced by Daniel Powell on 55 minutes, before United made a substitution of their own two minutes later when James Wilson came on for Powell.

Welbeck came ever so close to drawing the visitors level on the hour mark level but he directed his fierce 25-yard drive just inches past Martin’s left-hand post.

Boyhood United fan Danny Green, back from a hamstring injury, was then introduced in place of Carruthers, who troubled the United defence throughout.

The same duo that helped open the scoring – Reeves and Grigg - combined again on 63 minutes as the former’s exquisite cross was cheekily-chested home by the latter to send the majority of stadiummk into frenzy.

That frenzy turned into delirium just seven minutes later as the sensational Reeves racked up his third assist of the night by expertly laying on substitute Benik Afobe, who coolly slotted past De Gea from 15 yards.

Robinson’s men then, unbelievably, added a fourth late on through Afobe again, who forced his way past three United defenders before drilling a shot past a hapless De Gea.

Afobe’s goal put the gloss on a magical night for the all associated with the Dons, who without a doubt secured one of the greatest cup upsets of recent times.

MK Dons: Martin; Baldock, Lewington (c), Kay, McFadzean; Alli, Potter; Bowditch, Reeves, Carruthers; Grigg.

Subs: McLoughlin, Spence, Randall, Powell, Green, Hitchcock, Afobe.

Goal: Grigg (24 & 63), Afobe (70) (84)

Attendance: 26,969

Advertisement block