Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/08/2014

12 August 2014

Report: MK Dons 3-1 AFC Wimbledon

Karl Robinson's side are safely through to the second round of the Capital One Cup after a 3-1 victory over AFC Wimbledon at stadiummk.

Goals from Kyle McFadzean, Daniel Powell and a first for the Club from Benik Afobe ensured the men from MK1 a comfortable passage through to the next stage of the competition and a second successive victory at the start of the 2014/15 season. Matt Tubbs netted a late consolation for the visitors from the penalty spot.

After a fiery opening 60 seconds where both teams committed fouls, the Dons began to settle down and assert their dominance over their Sky Bet League 2 opponents.

In the sixth minute, Green tested the AFC Wimbledon defence with a delightful cross which keeper James Shea failed to deal with, however, fortunately for him, his defenders were able to react and clear the danger.

A lengthy stoppage due to an injury to Jack Smith temporarily halted proceedings but after the re-start, midfielder Dele Alli registered the game’s first shot with a drilled effort from the edge of the D which fell just wide of the post.

That Alli chance was followed by AFC Wimbledon’s first of the game, a Tubbs shot from Adebayo Akinfenwa’s cross which Martin saved with his legs before comfortably gathering Sammy Moore’s rebound.

Then, in the 18th minute, the Dons took a deserved lead courtesy of centre-back McFadzean, who netted his second goal in as many games for his new club with a classy near-post flick from a Green corner – which had similarities to that goal of the goal scored by Jon Otsemobor in the first meeting between the two sides back in 2012.

Midway through the first-half, Ben Reeves curled a left-footed shot just wide of the post after some dazzling work by Alli down the wing before Akinfenwa headed Sean Rigg’s cross into the arms of Martin moments later.

Winger Powell, one of two changes made by Robinson from the weekend win over Gillingham, shot over from inside the box on 30 minutes while, at the other end, Akinfenwa headed well wide of the post from George Francomb’s cross.

Francomb then came close himself just before half-time with a drilled shot which skimmed just wide of the post. Any touch from the several gathering inside the box and the scores could have been level.

AFC Wimbledon had the first chance of the second period through Akinfenwa, who tried to beat Martin with an ambitious effort but instead could only find the Dons keeper's hands.

And on the next attack - 49 minutes in - Robinson’s men were able to double their advantage courtesy of a sweet finish from Powell 18-yards out. The winger received a pass from Reeves before driving towards goal and finding the bottom corner with a low shot which Shea didn’t even move for.

The visitors responded with a Francomb free-kick which Martin was forced into making a save from before the Dons came ever so close to a third goal when Reeves was denied from point-blank range after some more good work by Powell down the left channel.

Tempers flared soon after the hour-mark following a pair of strong tackles from either side. Referee Whitestone called both captains over in an effort to calm things down and prevent anything more developing.

Dons boss Robinson made two substitutions soon after the hour-mark, first switching Reeves for Tom Hitchcock and then withdrawing Alli for Mark Randall.

The first of those replacements, Hitchcock, had an opportunity to make an instant impact when Reeves’ free-kick found its way to him deep inside the box but the striker, still awaiting his first Dons goal, couldn’t quite connect with his effort and AFC Wimbledon cleared.

Eventually, though, the Dons finally found that crucial third goal and it was the man on loan from Arsenal, Afobe, who found it, latching onto a defensive error by Alan Bennett before cooly slotting past Shea and registering his first goal for the Club.

Substitute George Baldock went close to a fourth late on with a pair of shots, the latter of which was cleared on the line by Bennett. Akinfenwa then had a shot of his header blocked at point-blank range before striker Tubbs was able to net a consolation from the penalty spot after being tripped inside the box deep into stoppage time.
MK Dons (4-2-3-1): Martin; Hodson, McFadzean, Kay, Lewington (c); Potter, Alli (Randall 68); Green (Baldock 81), Reeves (Hitchcock 61), Powell; Afobe.

Subs not used: McLoughlin (GK), Flanagan, Bowditch, Grigg.

Goal: McFadzean 18 Powell 49 Afobe 76

Booked: Alli, Green, Afobe

AFC Wimbledon: Shea, Fuller, Phillips, Bennett (c), Smith (Kennedy 14); Francomb (Sainte-Luce 63), Moore, Bulman, Rigg (Arthur 73); Tubbs, Akinfenwa.

Subs not used: Worner (GK), Pell, Azeez, Nicholson.

Goal: Tubbs (pen) 90

Booked: Tubbs, Bulman

Attendance: 7,171 (1,132 away)

Advertisement block