Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ladies rue missed chances

18 September 2012

MK Dons Ladies were made to rue missed chances after they picking up one point from their games against Luton Town and Ipswich Town.

After drawing 1-1 at home to the Hatters, the Ladies hosted Ipswich Town where they suffered their second defeat of the season after falling to a 3-1 loss.

A positive for the Ladies is the return of Lil Stanton from her stint with the England Under-19 squad but even her presence couldn’t help the Dons find their first win since opening day.

First up for John Dyer’s side was the local derby with Luton Town where the Ladies were keen to put the frustration of the previous results behind them and looked like doing so with Jade Linnell, Jo Brandon and captain Hannah Barratt dominating play and creating numerous chances for the home side.

Unfortunately, the Dons suffered a blow after a 50/50 challenge in the middle of the park left Barratt needing hospital treatment with a badly sprained ankle.

Even without their skipper, the Ladies continued to create chances but, as with previous weeks, failed to make them count.

Finally though, the impressive Linnell was able to grab a solitary goal for the hosts with a shot from at least 25-yards out but Luton were also able to net one of their own, despite some excellent defensive work from Tammy Scrivens and Kelly Robinson.

Even the return of the exciting Stanton couldn’t help the Dons find a winner and instead Dyer and his team had to settle for a point.

Next up was the visit of Ipswich Town, who took advantage of momentary lapses in concentration to steal the points and condemn the Dons to only their second defeat of the campaign.

Town took the lead during the first half before the Ladies grabbed one back just before the break thanks to a powerful header by Christie Turner.

Despite the equaliser, the Dons almost went in behind at the half after Carissa Kowasovski was adjudged to have handled the ball in the area, but ‘keeper Trip Witney was able to save the resulting penalty kick.

However, the lead was eventually lost within 13 minutes after the Dons allowed an Ipswich player time to waltz through the defence to score before a fumble by Witney allowed Town to net a third.

Dyer’s Ladies battled hard for the final half an hour, hitting the woodwork on four occasions before the full-time whistle ended hopes of a dramatic comeback.

John Dyer spoke to after the game and was understandably frustrated. He said: “the football and possession played did not reflect the results but that does not win you games, finishing and concentration for 90 minute does.”

Advertisement block