Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Whitehall Rangers 0 MK Dons 6

25 July 2012

MK Dons knocked Whitehall Rangers for six as they inflicted a heavy defeat on their Leinster Senior League opponents.

Spanish trialist Jaunfri opened the scoring for the Dons in the opening stages before a Jay O’Shea brace sandwiched a strike from Jabo Ibehre. Mass changes were made in the second half, but that did not stop goal-hungry Dons as Charlie Collins came off the bench to score two goals in ten minutes to cap off an excellent team performance.

The squad was once again split into two groups but both sides will have given manager Karl Robinson plenty of headaches for his team selection for the forthcoming season.

Jay’s through ball from midfield to Daniel Powell presented the wide man with the opportunity to run at the full-back, which he did with ease, but once into the box Powell took one too many touches and it was left to Luke Chadwick to register the first show, which went over the bar. 

Dele Alli, playing at right-back, looked bright in the opening spells with plenty of movement forward to create avenues for the Dons. The talented youngster appeared to have a good understanding with Powell down the flank and the pair were looking to feed the ball to target man Jabo Ibehre. 

Ibehre was quick to apply pressure to the Whitehall Rangers ‘keeper and when he came racing out of his areas Chadwick was on hand to curl a shot against the top of the post, and trialist striker Jaunfri nodded the follow-up over the bar.

Whitehall Rangers offered more attack than the Dons’ earlier opponents in the week, but in the early phases they were limited to optimistic long-range efforts which left David Martin untroubled.

It took 14 minutes for the Dons to open the scoring when Jay O’Shea’s teasing corner from the left-hand side found Jaunfri in acres of space in the box and the Spaniard was able to head the ball home.

Four minutes later Ibehre was sent tumbling in the box, offering the Dons their second penalty in as many games and with usual penalty taker Shaun Williams rested it was O’Shea who stepped up with bags of confidence as he sent the goalie the wrong way to double the Dons’ lead.

Rangers were battling hard to keep the Dons’ advantage limited to two and were showing a lot of fight in midfield. However, the Dons’ class in front of goal began to shine through as Ibehre was fed through on the left of the box and with confidence the big striker picked out the bottom corner of the net.

The defence were tested as Rangers ventured forward, but Tom Flanagan’s strong clearance coupled with David Martin’s collection at the corner kept the Dons out of danger.

The Dons were in cruise control yet were not about to ease the pressure as their slick play reaped the rewards. A demanding Ibehre was heard screaming for the ball as he burst down the right flank to cross the ball into Chadwick, who duly flicked the ball back for O’Shea to apply a fine finish from the edge of the box.

Dons started the second half as they finished the first, attacking the Rangers goal, as Daniel Powell played a one-two with Chadwick on the edge of the box before firing over. O’Shea, who had been a bright spark, picked up the ball midway inside the Rangers half only to curl his effort wide.

Ten minutes into the second half the Dons made mass changes as 10 new players entered the fray as the squad continued to total their required match minutes and fitness.

Within minutes the new-look side, with Brendan Galloway partnering Stephen Gleeson and Darren Potter in the three-man midfield, were firing shots at the Rangers’ goalie. This time Gleeson sent a fine volley from inside the box inches over the bar.

Dean Bowditch looked lively in attack as he roamed around up front in the three-pronged attack. The forward drifted from the left of midfield through to the right of the box, easing past attempted tackles before drilling a low effort which forced a superb block from the Rangers goalie.

Trialist Deon Burton then joined in on the action as Gleeson, having found acres of space through midfield, played the ball to him on the left only for the keeper’s quick movement off his line to put him of his stride as the ball looped over the bar.

In the 80th minute more youth was introduced to the game as Charlie Collins took the place of Galloway and Harry Hickford, who donned Alan Smith’s shirt presumably due to the similarity in haircuts, stepped in for Flanagan in defence.

Collins made a strong impact as the Dons’ free-flowing football found him in a great position in front of goal and the young striker, who spent time on loan at Tamworth last season, showed a good instinct to take the score to 5-0.

There was more to come though as Jon Otsemobor delivered a superb cross from deep to Collins, who again was waiting at the back post to send a fine header home and round off a rampant display.

MK Dons first 55 mins: Martin; Alli, Flanagan (MacKenzie 46), Kouo-Doumbe, Lewington (c); Smith, Chadwick, O’Shea; Jaunfri, Ibehre, Powell.

MK Dons from 55 mins: McLoughin; Otsemobor, MacKenzie, Flanagan (Hickford 80), Chicksen; Galloway (Collins 80), Potter, Gleeson; Bowditch, Burton, MacDonald.

Goals: Jaunfri 14, O’Shea (pen) 18, 38, Ibehre 24, Collins 83, 88

Advertisement block