Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Aylesbury FC 0 MK Dons 4

19 December 2012

MK Dons made it through to the semi-finals of the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup after a 4-0 victory over Aylesbury FC at The Affinity Investments Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Goals from Daniel Powell, Charlie MacDonald and a brace from Giorgio Rasulo were enough to see Dons safely into the next round of the County Cup where they will face Beaconsfield SYCOB.

Led by player-manager for the night Alan Smith and first team coach Ian Wright, the Dons made a late switch to the side that was named yesterday afternoon, with Charlie MacDonald coming into the side in place of Ibra Sekajja.  

After a cagey start, it was the Dons who had the first chance of the match after some good work down the left allowed Adam Chicksen to get a shot away, but the full-back’s effort fell harmlessly wide of Simeon Charles’ left-hand post.

However, it was the Dons’ keeper who was forced into making the first save with Ian McLoughlin having to be alert to claim Matarr Touray’s ambitious flick from 8-yards before former Manchester United and England striker Smith showed the experience of a seasoned-defender in his centre-back role with a last-ditch tackle on FC striker Brian Haule as he bore down on goal.

The conditions, coupled with a spirited FC performance, were making things difficult for Smith’s side in what was a relatively tight opening 30 minutes of football watched from the stands by Chairman Pete Winkelman, manager Karl Robinson and assistant manager Mick Harford.

However that didn’t prevent the Dons taking the lead just after the half-hour mark through Daniel Powell, after the winger pounced on a mis-kick from Moles’ ‘keeper Charles to power into the roof of the net from the edge of the box and give the visitors the lead at the break.

That lead was then doubled moments after the re-start when MacDonald, donning the captain’s armband for the evening, turned on the edge of the box and fired past the outstretched arm of Charles and into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

Keen not to fall too far behind, the hosts went in search of their first goal of evening and almost found it courtesy of Sonny French, but the midfielders fierce drive from 25-yards just whistled past the post.

The Dons were evidently not happy to settle with just the two goals as they kept up their pressure in the hope of extending their lead and went close to achieving that through MacDonald and Brendan Galloway, who both had efforts well-saved by Charles.

The Moles, though, had a great chance to pull a goal back in the 70th minute when Harry Hickford was adjudged to have fouled striker Haule in the box, however after picking himself up to take the penalty, Haule’s right-footed spot-kick flew wide.

But any chance of a dramatic comeback completely vanished when the visitors added two late goals courtesy of England Under-16 international Rasulo. The forward firstly converting MacDonald's cutback before he raced onto the end of Will Summerfield's deep cross to tap home at the far post to see the Dons safely into the last four of the competition.

Aylesbury FC: Charles; Simpson, Faulconbridge, Marsh-Brown (c), Abraham; Frimpong, Farrelly, French; Haule (Morisee 78), Osei, Touray (Lynch 77).

Subs not used: Roberts (GK), Tomlin, Welch.

MK Dons (4-2-3-1): McLoughlin; Spence, Smith, Hickford, Chicksen (Summerfield 77); Alli, Galloway; Ismail (Osae 51), Rasulo, Powell (Sekajja 46); MacDonald (c).

Subs not used: Osei-Addo, Ahmed.

Goals: Powell 33; MacDonald 47; Rasulo 86, 87

Attendance: 328

Advertisement block