Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
16 March 2024 Venue Stadium MK Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: MK Dons v Crewe Alexandra

MK Dons put on a clinical display to jump Crewe Alexandra into fourth place in the Sky Bet League Two table…

16 March 2024

MK Dons scored three first goals against promotion rivals Crewe Alexandra to secure Mike Williamson’s 11th league win at Stadium MK.

Matt Dennis opened the scoring with a centre-forward’s finish from close range before Elliot Nevitt equalised for the visitors with a well-taken goal from inside the area.

Minutes later Dennis doubled his tally with a cracking finish after Stephen Wearne’s exhilarating run to put the Dons 2-1 up. 

Wearne then got a goal himself after finishing off Alex Gilbey’s hard work with a low shot from the centre of the area.  

Mike Williamson made two changes to the starting XI that lost at Blundell Park on Tuesday, with Joe Tomlinson and Matt Dennis coming into the side for Dan Kemp and Ellis Harrison.


MK Dons had the opening chance of the game when Alex Gilbey brilliantly played through Matt Dennis who managed to stay onside. The forward used his pace to run at the box and create a one-on-one shooting opportunity but dragged his shot just wide of the left-hand side of the goal.

Minutes later though the forward had scored! Jack Payne found Joe Tomlinson on the left wing, the defender fired a cross across the face of goal which struck a few legs and bobbled around the penalty spot, Dennis was quickest to it and thumped home from close range. 1-0.

Not long after the goal Crewe had a chance to equalise, Aaron Rowe found himself with space on the edge of the MK Dons box and let fire, but Michael Kelly was comfortably able to palm the ball away.

Alex Gilbey looked to double the Dons’ lead after 10 minutes, the midfielder picked the ball up from Jack Payne in the Crewe half and wasn’t afraid to shoot from distance, but his effort curled just wide.

Eight minutes later the visitors had equalised. Aaron Rowe did well to find space and send a ball into the box which evaded the MK Dons' defence, Elliot Nevitt was on hand to stab home from inside the area and level the score. 1-1.

A moment later though the Dons were back in front! Stephen Wearne went on a mesmerising run from midfield after being found by Michael Kelly. The midfielder flew past several Crewe defenders before laying the ball off perfectly to Matt Dennis who didn’t break his stride and smashed home emphatically. 2-1.

Minutes later MK Dons had their third! Alex Gilbey danced past his marker on the edge of the Crewe box before pinging a ball across the face of goal into the path of Stephen Wearne, the forward met it confidently to fire home from close range and give the Dons a two-goal advantage. 3-1.

With 13 minutes left to play of the first-half Crewe should have scored their second. Ryan Cooney burst through from defence to find himself bearing down on the MK Dons goal, the right-back had plenty of time to think about his shot but Michael Kelly stood firm to pull off a fantastic save with his feet.

A few moments later Matt Dennis thought he had the chance to score a first-half hat trick! The forward bullied his marker to win the ball off him and engineer a shooting opportunity, but Zac Williams did well to track back and clear the ball away. 

Not long afterwards Ed Turner was shown the first yellow card of the match for a nasty tackle on Alex Gilbey.

Daniel Harvie had a chance from a distance after 40 minutes, the left-back screamed for the ball from Stephen Wearne and received it on the edge of the area, but ultimately couldn’t keep his shot down.

The Dons saw out the first half to go in at the break two goals up.


Matt Dennis looked desperate to add a third goal to his tally just after the interval. The forward did brilliantly to pick up Jack Payne’s short ball and dribble past two Crewe defenders in the box before his shot from close range was blocked by Tom Booth.

Five minutes later Crewe had a chance to pull one back, Mickey Demetriou got a shot away from close range after a Rio Adebisi cross but failed to find the target.

In the 55th minute, Jack Payne tried his luck from distance with an audacious free-kick, but it was just too far out to generate enough power to trouble Booth.

Not long afterwards Elliot Nevitt thought he had an opportunity to score for the Railwaymen, but Kyran Lofthouse was alert to the break and nicked the ball away from the centre-forward before he had the chance to shoot.

The Alex had the ball in the net in the 59th minute, but the referee blew his whistle for a foul on Michael Kelly before Aaron Rowe had knocked the ball in from close range.

Mike Williamson made his first substitution of the afternoon in the 62nd minute, with Dan Kemp coming on for Stephen Wearne.

With 25 minutes to play Jack Payne unleashed a shot from distance after some great build-up play from Lofthouse and Gilbey, but goalkeeper Tom Booth did well to stop the driven effort.

Crewe had another chance themselves not long afterwards, Ryan Cooney picked up a Rio Adebisi cross in the area and turned to get his shot away before being brilliantly denied by Michael Kelly in the Dons’ net.

Dan Kemp was the first MK Dons player to be booked for a late challenge.

Elliot Nevitt tried to get his side back into the game in the 70th minute after latching onto a deflected ball in the box, but the forward rushed his shot and blazed over from the right-hand side of the area.

Not long afterwards Ryan Cooney and Joe Tomlinson were both booked after a coming together.

Mike Williamson made a double change with 18 minutes left to play, with Matt Dennis and Jack Payne making way for Ellis Harrison and Cameron Norman.

With 12 minutes left to play, Dan Kemp drove towards the Crewe box and fired a low ball goalwards, Booth did well to get a hand to it and tip the ball away from a waiting Ellis Harrison.

The Dons looked determined to add a fourth goal before full-time, Alex Gilbey this time picking the ball up from MJ Williams before shooting from just outside the box to earn MK Dons a corner.

MK Dons took the set piece short before the ball was played out to Kyran Lofthouse on the edge of the area, the wing-back let the ball bounce before sending a fierce half-volley flying towards goal only for Booth to pull off another smart save.

MK Dons continued to pile on the pressure as the clock ticked down, Ellis Harrison found Alex Gilbey just inside the box allowing the midfielder the chance to shoot, Booth was alert to it though and kept the score at 3-1 with another good stop.

Dan Kemp had another shot for MK Dons just a minute later after capitalising on some good play from Gilbey and Tomlinson, but his connection wasn’t clean and the keeper was able to claim it.

MK Dons saw out five minutes of stoppage time to claim another victory at Stadium MK.


MK Dons: Kelly, O’Hora, Williams, Gilbey (C), Payne (Norman 72), Tomlinson, Harvie, Wearne (Kemp 62), Lofthouse, Dennis (Harrison 72), Bate

Subs: Harness, Lewington, Robson, Tezgel

Goals: Dennis 5, 22, Wearne 25

Yellow cards: Kemp 69, Tomlinson 71

Crewe Alexandra: Booth, Cooney (Leigh 81), Adebisi, Williams, Demetriou, Thomas, Tracey, Turns (Kirk 88), Nevitt, Rowe, Austerfield 

Subs: Davies, Finney, Billington, Woodcock, Agius

Goals: Nevitt 19

Yellow cards: Turns 37, Cooney 71

Referee: Paul Howard

Stadium: Stadium MK

Attendance: 6,661 (719)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account