Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

18 February 2023 Venue Hillsborough Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Sheffield Wednesday 5-2 MK Dons

18 February 2023

MK Dons were beaten 5-2 by Sheffield Wednesday, who scored four second-half goals to come from behind and secure victory.

Mark Jackson’s became the first team to score at Hillsborough Stadium in the league since October when Jonathan Leko put them ahead with a stunning after just two minutes. Sheffield Wednesday levelled soon after through Lee Gregory but Mo Eisa struck to give the Dons a 2-1 lead at the break.
However, the Owls were clinical after the break, with a Michael Smith brace and goals from Lee Gregory and George Byers sealing an empathic win for the title contenders and condemning the Dons to a second straight league defeat - a result which saw them drop into the bottom four in Sky Bet League One.

MK Dons made two changes from their midweek team, with Tennai Watson and Bradley Johnson replacing Henry Lawrence and Dawson Devoy. Devoy and Lawrence are among the substitutes bench which is otherwise unchanged.

An emphatic finish from Jonathan Leko opened the scoring just moments after the starting whistle. MK Dons had to defend against an early corner, which then flipped in the travelling team’s favour. Leko received the ball from Eisa and carried it to the edge of the area before he unleashed a rifle of a strike past Cameron Dawson within the second minute of the fixture. 0-1

The hosts looked to respond swiftly after they conceded. A corner routine played short allowed Sheffield Wednesday to find Marvin Johnson on the edge of the area, in an attempt to cut-out the pass Sullay Kaikai was moments late to the ball and the hosts were awarded a free-kick from 15-yards out. However, Windass’ attempt from the set-piece was struck off target.

The Owls equalised with eight minutes on the stopwatch. Josh Windass was supplied with a ball from Reece James that cut-open the Dons’ backline, the number 11 then chipped the ball over Jamie Cumming, who rushed out in an effort to narrow down the angle. 1-1

Fuelled by their equaliser, the home looked to push on to gain the advantage for the first time within the clash. Zak Jules had misdealt with a ball, which eventually granted Will Vaulks with a shot from range. The ball only located the palms of Jamie Cumming.

A foul produced by Josh McEachran earned the midfielder the first yellow card of the game. The Owls had another free-kick from a similar range to their first, however, the placement further left could have proved difficult for a shooting opportunity. Bannan delivered an in-swinging cross, but Tennai Watson was able to carry the ball away from danger.

Mo Eisa regained the lead for Mark Jackson’s men on the 22-minute mark. An over-the-top ball bounced off a miscalculated header from Wednesday’s defence into the path of the forward, who still had work to do. The number ten controlled it well with his chest and battled off two players before he calmy found the bottom-right corner of the net with a composed finish. 1-2

Shortly after their second, MK Dons crafted another chance. Although, Eisa, with his back to goal, could only fathom a corner-kick. The set-piece was then cleared by the home side.

Sheffield Wednesday searched for the second equaliser, which saw the home side spend a period of time within MK Dons’ half. Multiple crosses were played into the area with the intention to trouble the defence, but the efforts from the hosts were matched thus far. Five minutes of the first half remained.

A plethora of attacks were conjured within the closing stages of the first 45 minutes. However, MK Dons withstood the pressure.

Seven minutes of additional time was signalled by the fourth official.

Sullay Kaikai had what would eventually be the final chance of the half. Leko found his fellow winger on the right-flank and the number 24 burst into the box, he had the time needed to produce an effort, but his powerful strike flew wide of the near post.

MK Dons held the advantage as the teams entered the break.

The opening stages of the second half were opposite to the first. That was until Sheffield Wednesday had won a corner, the hosts delivered a ball, which eventually found the boot of Dominic Iorfa whose close-range effort was turned over the bar.

Daniel Harvie’s defensive prowess was then called upon when he leaped over Michael Smith to prevent any further danger.

Eight minutes following the interval, a handball in the area led to a penalty for the Owls. Smith stepped up to the spot-kick and blasted his shot into the left netting, which equalised the game once more. 2-2

The hosts looked to capitalise on the momentum they had gained from the fourth goal of the fixture. Reece James played a ball into the box, which deflected into the path of Cumming. Fortunately, the goalkeeper was aware of the danger and met it with ease.

For the first time within the clash, Sheffield Wednesday had taken the lead. A ball that sliced through the MK Dons box found the run of Dennis Adeniran, who cut the ball back towards Lee Gregory. The Wednesday substitutes made an instant impact, which gifted Gregory a chance at an open net. 3-2

The Dons looked to respond to their set-back near ten minutes after it occurred. A well-placed pass from Bradley Johnson found Mo Eisa on the left of the field. The striker cut inside in an attempt to curl an effort round Cameron Dawson. However, his strike was interrupted by Liam Palmer.

On the 73- minute mark, the hosts doubled their lead. A shot produced from Smith took a wayward deflection off Zak Jules in his effort to block it. This caught Cumming off his line and the ball bounced over the keeper’, who was caught off guard by the unnatural path of the effort. 4-2

Wednesday looked to increase their advantage further, which could’ve been possible if not for an acrobatic header turned behind from Watson and a clearance from the corner-kick which followed.

Few minutes remained and Sheffield Wednesday increased the scoreline to 5-2 following a cross, which was headed into the net by George Byers, who placed himself at the back-post.

The Owls made sure to punish MK Dons, who couldn’t maintain their advantage gained from the first half. All three points were awarded to the home side following a 5-2 scoreline at the conclusion of 90 minutes.



MK Dons: Cumming, Watson, Tucker, McEachran (C) (Devoy 60), Eisa, Leko, Johnson, Harvie (Lawrence 86), Kaikai, Jules, Maghoma (Smith 86)

Subs: Ravizzoli, Grigg, Holland, Burns

Goals: Leko 2, Eisa 24

Yellow cards: McEachran 17


Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Vaulks (Gregory 60), Iorfa, Bannan (C) (Dele-Bashiru 76), Windass, Byers, Johnson, Smith (Bakinson 90), Hunt (Dennis Adeniran 60), James

Subs: Stockdale, Famewo, Flint

Goals: Windass 8, Smith 53, Gregory 64, Smith 73, Byers 89

Yellow cards:

Attendance: 24,318 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account