Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

12 January 2019 Venue The Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Bury

All you need to know ahead of Saturday’s Sky Bet League Two clash at Gigg Lane…

11 January 2019

MK Dons are back in action this Saturday, as they travel to Bury for their first away game of 2019.

Due to Oldham Athletic’s involvement in the Emirates FA Cup, Paul Tisdale’s side have played just one this month – they’ll certainly be eager to get back on the pitch this Saturday.

They last took to the field on New Year’s Day, when they ran out 6-0 winners over Cambridge United in emphatic fashion.

The clash will certainly prove to be a mouth-watering one, with both MK Dons and Bury sitting in the automatic promotion places heading into the weekend.

Kick-off is at 3pm.

With former MK Dons striker Ryan Lowe at the helm, Bury have mounted a serious promotion challenge, as they look to return to Sky Bet League One at the first time of asking.

Heading into Saturday’s clash in Greater Manchester, the Shakers currently sit third place in the table – just one point behind the Dons. Gigg Lane has proved to be a fortress for Lowe’s side this season, his side have lost just once at home this season and have scored an impressive 31 goals in their 13 home outings – the most in the division. 

19 of Bury’s 49 goals in Sky Bet League Two this season have come via two former Dons. After moving to Gigg Lane in the Summer of 2018, Nicky Maynard has found his goalscoring boots – he’s netted 10 times this season, averaging a goal every 136 minutes.

Elsewhere, Jay O’Shea has found himself on the scoresheet nine times, while he’s also registered three assists so far this campaign.

MK Dons began 2019 in stunning style, returning to winning ways in Sky Bet League Two with a 6-0 victory at Stadium MK.

Three goals in the first 12 minutes from Rhys Healey, Kieran Agard and Chuks Aneke had Paul Tisdale’s men in full control early on. 

Healey, Agard and substitute Osman Sow then added further strikes to put the icing on a stunning home display and to secure a result which sees the second-placed Dons move four points clear in the automatic promotion places in Sky Bet League Two. 

Nick Maynard’s goal was enough to give Bury a 1-0 win over Yeovil Town in their last Sky Bet League Two fixture.

Lowe’s side were in action earlier this week, as they took on Accrington Stanley in the Checkatrade Trophy- a game they won 4-2 – having been 2-0 down at half-time.

Goals from Maynard, O’Shea and a Dom Telford brace secured their passage into the Quarter-Final stages of the competition.

Paul Tisdale: "[The games become more important] every week and every month we edge closer to the end of the season. It's amplified you're playing a team close to you in the league and when you're in the top six or bottom six.

Ryan Lowe: "Even though Saturday against MK Dons is 2nd v 3rd, it's just another game for us. We're confident, but we're not arrogant. The hard work has to continue, and we're not getting carried away."

Osman Sow marked his return to fitness with a goal from the bench against Cambridge on New Year's Day and may replace Rhys Healey who returned to parent Club Cardiff City following the victory.

Elsewhere, Ryan Harley played 45-minutes for the Under-23s on Monday afternoon, however, Saturday's clash may come too soon for the midfielder who is continuing his rehabilitation.

Paul Tisdale didn’t reveal any further injury news in his post-match press conference on Thursday.

Bury recently lost Callum Styles and Jamie Barjonas who returned to Barnsley and Rangers respectively following loan deals at Gigg Lane.

Peter Bankes will oversee this Saturday's clash with Bury. 

Mr Bankes last oversaw the Dons during their Fourth Round Emirates FA Cup clash with Coventry last season.

In total this season, Bankes has made three dismissals and booked 101 players in 23 outings. 

His assistant referees are Geoffrey Russell and James Wilson while the fourth official is Michael Salisbury.

MK Dons wins: 8
MK Dons wins at Gigg Lane: 4
Last MK Dons win: 1-0, 11 Aug 2018 (Stadium MK)
Biggest MK Dons win: 5-1, 02 Feb 2008 (Gigg Lane)

Draws: 3
Draws at Gigg Lane: 2
Last draw: 0-0, 14 Feb 2017 (Gigg Lane)

Bury wins: 2
Bury wins at Gigg Lane: 1
Last Bury win: 3-1, 27 Sep 2016 (Stadium MK)
Biggest Bury win: 3-1, 27 Sep 2016 (Stadium MK)

Dons win - 9/5
Draw - 23/10
Bury win - 7/5

Click HERE for more Sky Bet odds!

MK Dons travel to Greater Manchester this Saturday for a mouth-watering third versus second Sky Bet League Two clash. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Bury have confirmed that tickets can only be purchased through them, either online, by phone or at the turnstiles on the day of the game.

Tickets are priced at £20 adults, £14 supporters with a disability/under-23s, 65s and over, £10 under-18s, £7 under-16s and £5 under-12s while under-5s go FREE. Tickets bought online or by phone will be subject to a booking fee but tickets bought on the day of the game will not be.

To book tickets in advance through Bury click HERE or call 0161 764 4881. Tickets can also be bought from the turnstiles on the day of the game at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.

Official away travel is available to book through MK Dons. Coach spaces are priced at £22 for Season Ticket holders and £23 for all other supporters. Coaches will depart Stadium MK at 9.30am.

To book coach travel click HERE, visit the Box Office at Stadium MK or call 0333 200 5343. Coach travel will be available to book until 5pm on Friday 11th January, subject to availability.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Bury 4-3 MK Dons

Dons lose on the road...

12 January 2019

MK Dons were beaten 4-3 by Bury at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane with the Shakers’ winning goal coming in stoppage time.

Paul Tisdale’s men led 3-1 with 17 minutes left to play courtesy of finishes from Jordan Moore-Taylor and Dean Lewington and an own goal from Chris Stokes.

Bury, though, fought back late to win the contest, with Nicky Adams scoring the decisive goal in the first of three additional minutes.

The result sees MK Dons drop to third in the Sky Bet League Two table, behind the Shakers, who have played two games more.

Boss Tisdale made three changes to the side which beat Cambridge United on New Year’s Day with Jordan Moore-Taylor and Joe Walsh returning to the starting XI alongside Peter Pawlett. They replaced Mathieu Baudry, Conor McGrandles and the departed Rhys Healey.

MK Dons made a fast start, working their way to the edge of the area inside the opening 30 seconds.

They weren’t able to fashion a chance, though, until the second minute when Kieran Agard raced behind the Bury backline and, from a tight angle, forced a save out of Joe Murphy with a low left-footed effort.

A minute later, Alex Gilbey worked his way free down the left but he wasn’t able to pick out a teammate with his cross.

The Shakers then threatened for the first time with Nicky Adams sending in a delivery which Walsh headed away.

Tisdale’s Dons were then dealt a blow as George Williams was forced off with an injury just five minutes in - he was replaced by McGrandles.

Bury attacked down the right shorty after the re-start through Chris Stokes, whose low ball was dealt with by Lee Nicholls at the feet of Dominic Telford.

The Dons countered and forced Stokes into a corner from which they took the lead. Jordan Houghton delivered the cross and Moore-Taylor, on his first start since returning from injury, climbed well to head home his first goal for the Club. 0-1.

Telford almost produced an instant response for the home side but he dragged his 20-yard drive just wide of Nicholls’ left-hand upright.

Bury were, though, handed a chance to equalise on 11 minutes when Telford was brought down inside the box. Referee Peter Banks awarded a penalty and Jay O’Shea stepped up to take it but the former Don was denied from 12-yards by a brilliant diving same from Nicholls.

O’Shea had an opportunity to make amends from the resulting corner but blazed over from 15 yards out.

The Shakers were almost made to pay for those two misses on 21 minutes when Dons raced forward courtesy of a terrific forward pass from Aneke. It led to a chance for Pawlett but his effort was palmed away by Murphy who, eventually, managed to grab the loose ball.

Bury went close again midway through the first half when Telford flashed a shot just wide from the right corner of the six-yard box. Danny Mayor also skimmed the upright with a low right-footed drive from the edge of the area.

On the half-hour mark, Agard got a crucial touch to O’Shea’s attempt which sent it over the crossbar.

The Shakers were then awarded a second penalty after Neil Danns went down inside the area - although this one was far more dubious. O’Shea stepped up again and this time he wasn’t to be denied, opting for the opposite corner to level the scores. 1-1.

Lewington was booked for his reaction to the referee’s decision but his on-field response was much better. Straight from the re-start, Agard was brought down on the edge of the area for a free-kick and the captain stepped up to fire into the top left-hand corner - his first goal of the season. 1-2.

Tisdale’s side almost doubled their advantage with three minutes remaining in the half but, from another set-piece, Agard headed wide. Instead, they headed into the break with their one-goal lead.

MK Dons started the second half intent on extending their margin and Aneke went close five minutes in with a looping header from Houghton’s corner which landed on the top of the crossbar. Aneke tried his luck again moments later but blazed high and wide.

It was, though, third-time lucky for the Dons, as with their third attempt of the half they made 3-1. Pawlett did brilliantly in the middle of the park to start the attack and find Lewington out on the left. The skipper sent in a cross and it was inadvertently turned home by Shakers full-back Stokes.

After riding out a brief storm from the hosts, Gilbey almost added a fourth for the Dons with a fierce right-footed drive which Murphy palmed wide. From the resulting corner, Cargill saw a strike deflect just over the crossbar while Gilbey, later, sent one over too.

Bury responded with O’Shea having an effort blocked behind for a corner which the Dons somehow survived. The Dons defence was put under more pressure as the game moved into it’s final half an hour but Tisdale’s men were standing up to the test - not allowing their hosts any clear sight of goal.

On 69 minutes, Mayor stuck the side netting moments before Tisdale made his second substitution of the game - Lawson D’Ath coming on in place of Pawlett.

D’Ath was part of a trio of Dons players bursting through on goal in the 72nd minute but it was Aneke who went for goal - curling a right-footed shot the wrong side of the post. The three were at it again shortly after but Agard’s cross was too high for his teammates.

Tisdale’s men were made to rue those chances as Bury went straight on the attack and reduced the deficit through Telford - a great solo goal from the Shakers striker. 2-3.

The home side’s tails were up and substitute Eoghan O’Connell sent a long-range effort over the bar with a quarter of an hour left to play. Nicholls then got down to gather a low drive from Adams.

Bury, though, found a way through again on 77 minutes through Mayor, who created space for a shot in the area and drilled a low effort through the crowd. 3-3.

With it all to play for once again, Nicholls produced a save to keep out Adams before O’Shea fired over. At the other end, Gilbey earned MK Dons a free-kick from which Gilbey had a low drive deflect over the bar.

Nicky Maynard missed a glorious opportunity to put his team in front with four minutes to play before Tisdale brought on Osman Sow with his final roll of the dice.

In the final minute of regulation time, Mayor shot wide before his fellow midfielder Adams won the tie with a curling effort in the first of three additional minutes. 4-3.

Starting XI: Nicholls; Walsh, Moore-Taylor, Cargill; Williams (McGrandles 6), Houghton, Gilbey, Lewington (c); Agard (Sow 87), Aneke, Pawlett (D’Ath 69).

Unused subs: Moore, Baudry, Watson, Simpson.

Goals: Moore-Taylor (8), Lewington (34), Stokes O.G. (52)

Booked: Lewington, Pawlett, Houghton

Referee: P Banks

Attendance: 4,072 (259 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account