Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 18 Nov 16 at 07:17 AM

Report: Yeovil Town 4-1 MK Dons

Ten-man MK Dons exited the Checkatrade Trophy following a 4-1 defeat at Yeovil Town, in which the hosts scored two penalties.

An own goal had Robbie Neilson’s side deservedly ahead at the break, but the Glovers hit back with two converted spot-kicks and then made the most of their man advantage after Samir Carruthers had seen red for two yellow cards.

Chuks Aneke made his first MK Dons start, while George C Williams, Ben Tilney and Kabongo Tshimanga were also included in the starting XI. Connor Furlong and Thomas-Asante were among the substitutes.

After an even opening, the Dons had strong appeals for a penalty waved away on six minutes when Tshimanga looked to be brought down after he latched on to Paul Downing’s through-ball.

Shortly afterwards, Ryan Colclough forced a save from Jonathan Maddison after receiving the ball from Aneke in the middle of the park while, at the other end, Nathan Smith headed harmlessly into Lee Nicholls’ grasp.

Colclough and Aneke then saw shots blocked from the edge of the area in quick succession as the Dons’ strong start continued in Somerset.

Despite some good football on show from the men from MK1, they went ahead in rather fortuitous fashion when Colcough’s ball towards Tshimanga was turned into his own net by Alex Lacey.

In control of proceedings, the Dons had the ball in the net once again on 36 minutes when Tshimanga finished with aplomb but it was ruled out for offside.

At the other end, Carruthers deflected a long-range effort from Kevin Dawson wide of the target as Neilson’s side limited the hosts’ threat.

That proved to be a rare foray forward for the Glovers as the Dons hit back – Daniel Powell fired wide before the lively Colclough crossed for Tshimanga, who was crowded out at the crucial time.

However, Yeovil were level within four minutes of the second half as Dawson slotted home from the penalty spot after Paul Downing had fouled Tahvor Campbell.

Ben Reeves and Kieran Agard were introduced for Aneke and Colclough just before the hour mark as Neilson tried to swing the game back in the Dons’ favour.

Another penalty was awarded to Yeovil on 62 minutes for an alleged handball by Powell – the decision certainly surprised many but Francois Zoko didn’t let that affect him as he found the net from 12 yards.

The Dons’ task was made more difficult when Carruthers was given his marching orders after receiving a second yellow card midway through the second half.

Lacey made up for his own goal earlier when he superbly guided home a right-wing cross to make it 3-1 to the hosts with just over 15 minutes remaining.

After Nicholls saved from Zoko, Agard threatened when he raced through but Maddison was alert to clear the danger as the Dons looked for a way back into the game.

Ben Whitfield extended the Glovers’ lead on 79 minutes, heading home Ryan Dickson’s delivery from the right-hand side.

Agard, working hard up top, saw a shot blocked after initially turning away from his marker as the game approached its conclusion.

Not the start the new management team would have wanted but an immediate chance to put things right on Saturday against AFC Wimbledon at Stadium MK.

Starting XI: Nicholls, Carruthers, GC Williams, GB Williams, Hendry, Powell, Downing, Tilney, Aneke (Agard 58), Tshimanga (Baldock 71), Colclough (Reeves 58).

Unused subs: Martin, Walsh, Furlong, Thomas-Asante.

Bookings: Carruthers (2), Hendry.

Sent off: Carruthers.

Attendance: 1,308 (92 Dons fans).

    Latest Match Reports