Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Nov 11 at 17:02 PM


MK Dons eased through to the Second Round of the FA Cup with a convincing 6-0 win over a brave Nantwich Town at stadiummk.

The Evo-Stik Premier Division were in the First Round for the first time in their 127-year history and had intentions of causing the round's biggest upset, however, the Dons' class shone through when Mathias Kouo-Doumbe broke the deadlock in the 28th minute and they never looked back.

A pair from Dean Bowditch, either side of half-time, put them in control before Daniel Powell and Jay O'Shea extended the lead. George Williams, at just 16-years old, completed the scoring and became the Club's youngest goal scorer in the process.

The Dons made six changes for the Cup encounter, having signed off from the League in fourth position, but the forward line of Charlie MacDonald, Dean Bowditch, Angelo Balanta and Daniel Powell was a strong one that emphasised their intent on the game.

ab v nant.jpg

As expected it was the Dons who controlled the game from the offset with the first shot on target registered when Luke Chadwick, captaining the side in Dean Lewington and Stephen Gleeson's absence, rifling a shot through the box with the deflected effort falling into the path of Dean Bowditch. The forward, now accustom to playing on the left was able to send a fine on-the-turn shot goal bound only for Jon Brain to produce a superb tip over.

The Dabbers spent the majority of the opening phases pinned back in their own half as the Dons did their best to carve their way through the underdogs' defence, who were working overtime to keep them at bay.

Robinson's men looked to be operating on cruise control, teasing the Nantwich players with the odd chance of possession, but when the visitors did get the ball they were backed by a large travelling support they roared forward. Nantwich came within inches of taking a shock lead at stadiummk when Sean Cooke's corner found an unmarked Mat Bailey who powered a free header over the bar.

db cele v nant.jpg

The Dabbers had been strong in defence and well deserved the goalless scoreline, yet the Dons' class shone through when their persistence was rewarded with the opening goal. Nantwich 'keeper Brain made a spectacular tip away to deny Bowditch with a header, however, from his resulting corner Kouo-Doumbe planted a bullet header into the bottom corner.

It took just three minutes for the Dons to extend their lead further when the Dabbers failed to keep up with their fast movement and the quick feet of Balanta on the left of the box had fed through Bowditch who was able to stroke the ball home via a cheeky nutmeg.

A danger for the Dons was their own complacency which could have crept into the game, and there were also flashes of concern when Nantwich were able to break. Ben Mills managed to beat the Dons' offside trap which caused trouble for Kouo-Doumbe until he was able to recover to prevent Martin from being called into action.

ac v nant.jpg

The Dons' task for the second half was to add to their comfortable score line and prevent Nantwich from getting the dream goal they were craving.

Inside the first minute of the second the Nantwich defence had got themselves in a spin, passing the ball straight to the feet of Balanta. The midfielder's low shot was turned wide by the slightest of touches from Brain but a goal-kick was awarded.

Some wonderful slick passing from the Dons, which involved Balanta, Bowditch and Powell, pulled the Nantwich defence out of position and they were eventually penalised for a foul on Bowditch. The 25-year-old stepped up to take the free-kick on the left of the box, spotting the weakness in the five-man wall he drove his delivery into the back of the net to treble their lead.

mk-d goal.jpgg

A matter of minutes later Bowditch was denied a hat-trick when MacDonald produced a great cross at the by-line and, on the half-volley, Brain managed to get his body behind the well-struck effort to make the save.

Possibly Nantwich's best chance of getting a chance to register a score came in the 63rd minute when appeals of handball against Tom Flanagan in a crowded box, but they were waved away by the referee.

To add further to their woes Nantwich goalie Brain was then picking the ball out of the net for a fourth time when a inch-perfect through ball from Williams released Powell to apply a composed finish.

mk-d cele.jpg

Powell had just finished celebrating when his number went up on the board to give way for Jay O'Shea, who had been out of action since the end of August with ankle ligament damage.

And the Irishman was on the pitch for less than 10 minutes before emphatically netting the Dons' fifth of the afternoon. O'Shea the made a point to run and celebrate with the medical and fitness team who had helped in his recovery.

With the result well beyond doubt Robinson opted to create some history by introducing George Williams, 16-years and two-months old, to become the youngest ever player to feature for the Club, taking Adam Chicksen's record of 16-years and 11-months.

gw goal v nant.jpg

However, the record stood for just two minutes as Brendan Galloway then became the youngest player - aged just 15-years and seven-months old.

The biggest cheer of the game came in the 89th minute when George Williams found himself through on goal, his dancing feet gave Brain no chance and as the ball crossed the line the roar at stadiummk reached deafening volumes as the latest 'one of our own' broke another Club record.

MK Dons (4-2-3-1): Martin; Baldock, Flanagan, Kouo-Doumbe, Chicksen; Chadwick (Galloway 79), S Williams; Powell (O'Shea 67), Balanta, Bowditch; MacDonald (G Williams 77).

Subs not used: Ibehre, McNamee, Alli.

Goals: Kouo-Doumbe 27, Bowditch 30, 54, Powell 66, O'Shea 76, G Williams 89

Nantwich Town: Brain, Low, Solovjovs, Maguire (Jack 73), Bailey, Moss, Cooke, Summerskil, Mills, Brunt (Lennon 56), McLachlan (Mitchell 61).

Subs not used: Foster, Chapman, Everall, Prince.

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)

Attendance: 4,110 (756 away)

    Latest Match Reports