Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 10 Oct 11 at 22:10 PM


Goals either side of half-time saw Oldham Athletic condemn MK Dons to only their second defeat of the season as the Latics ran out 2-1 winners at a sodden Boundary Park.

The persistent downpour played a huge part in the game as Oldham broke the deadlock when Dons goalkeeper David Martin slipped over trying to collect a hopeful long ball and the experienced Shefki Kuqi netted from a difficult angle.

With the Sky cameras on the Dons missed their chance to impress in the spotlight as Oldham made the better of the difficult playing conditions and doubled their lead through Tom Adeyemi's second half strike.

Clinton Morrison found a consolation for the Dons five minutes from time and despite desperate attempts for force an equaliser in injury time, the men from MK were left to rue a performance that did not match the high standards of the season so far which leaves them fifth in the table.

dl v oa.jpg

Karl Robinson only made one change to the side that beat Notts County 3-0 nine days earlier with Stephen Gleeson back from suspension in place of Shaun Williams, who dropped to the bench. There was a gamble for the Dons though as no substitute goalkeeper was named, instead they opted for five outfield players.

Conditions at Boundary Park were always going to make the game difficult as the wind swept around the three stands and the constant rain made the pitch slippery, the ball greasy and the lines on the pitch barely visible for players and spectators.

Inside three minutes the home side came within inches of breaking the deadlock when Chris Taylor headed wide of the near post. At the other end, Angelo Balanta found space on the edge of the Latics box to feed in Luke Chadwick, but the midfielder tried to pass the ball into the net rather than power it home meaning Alex Cisak was comfortable making the save.

The ball bobbled awkwardly and both sides were letting passes go astray in the early phases, while the Dons looked intent on trying their best to stick with their passing game Oldham were doing their best to take advantage of the elements by calling on a number of clearances from the Dons defence with spinning crosses into the box.

db v oa.jpg

Oldham had the Dons pinned back in their own half for spells of the opening 20 minutes with set-pieces a constant threat from the home side, especially the unpredictable long throw of Kieran Lee.

The Dons at times were uncharacteristically sloppy at times; Kouo-Doumbe's short throw-in to the right of the Latics' box was immediately picked up by a blue shirt and threaded through to release Reuben Reid who instantly looked dangerous with the ball at his feet. But Oldham's top scorer was down on his luck as he was forced to pull up and end the break at goal with a hamstring complaint that lead to him being subbed for Filipe Morais.

When the Dons were presented with a corner it appeared to have been wasted when a poor delivery from Balanta hit the first Oldham defender, however, the ball fell kindly for Dean Bowditch and after a few touches to better his sight at goal, he eventually dared to shoot although Cisak, after an initial spin, smothered the ball.

Having seen the ball pop out of the Latics 'keepers arms, Balanta tried an effort from distance and Cisak once again spilt before recovering. Robbie Simpson went for the same plan from all of 25-yards, but David Martin was comfortable as he made a low save.

Luke Chadwick vs Oldham

Some good football from the Latics lead to their best chance of the half just seven minutes before the break when Tom Adeyemi's curling strike from inside the box rose over the bar.

Oldham were quick on the attack and strengthening their chances of scoring when Adeyemi played a smart touch into the path of Morais who tried to take the shot across Martin and into the far corner, but his drill flashed just wide.

David Mellor superb run, shuffled through the Dons' defence tried to dink the ball over the recovering players and Martin manages to intervene.

However, Oldham got the goal they had been hunting two minutes before the break but it came in the cruellest of ways for the Dons. A hopeful long ball was thumped down field and as Martin came of his line to collect his feet when from under him on the soaked turf, with the Dons goalie on the floor Kuqi was on hand and applied a neat finish from a tight angle to fire the Latics ahead.

Seconds later Kuqi could have had a second, this time an easier chance, but from the opposite side of the box the moment got the better of him and he blazed over.

Angelo Balanta vs Oldham

There were encouraging signs for the Dons after the break, yet half-chances that came their way failed to be taken and they paid the price when a move started by Oldham goalie Cisak resulted in the hosts doubling their lead.

A long ball down field was knocked around before the through ball released Adeyemi , he skimmed past Kouo-Doumbe to tuck the ball into the bottom corner. Oldham were firmly in the driving seat which resulted in a double change for the Dons with Daniel Powell and Shaun Williams introduced as they desperately looked to regain some momentum in the game.

The Dons found some direction and their persistence in their began to show glimpses of promise when Powell, Chadwick and Kouo-Doumbe combined with the latter fizzing in a cross from the right but Clinton Morrison's acrobatic attempt failed to connect with the ball, and the thumping follow up from Gleeson could not beat the bodies in the Latics box.

gm v oa.jpg

There was no let-up for the Dons though, a confident Oldham wanted to add to their tally and came close to doing so when Mellor broke down the left he cut the ball back for Morais, but the sub's shot was deflected wide.

Late hope came for the Dons when Anthony McNamee, on for Kouo-Doumbe as the Dons went for broke, found the space on the left to drill a low ball into the box and Morrison got the slightest touch with his outstretched boot to take the ball beyond Cisak and set up a dramatic end to the game.

The Dons threw everything at Oldham in the final five minutes, calling on two saves from the goalie but their late efforts went unrewarded.

Oldham Athletic (4-4-2): Cisak; Lee, Diamond (c), Clarke, Mellor (M'Voto 88); Simpson (Furman 89), Adeyemi, Wesolowski, Taylor; Kuqi, Reid (Morais 26).

Subs not used: Smith, Gerrard.

Booked: Lee

Goals: Kuqi 43, Adeyemi 56

MK Dons (4-2-3-1): Martin; Kouo-Doumbe (McNamee), MacKenzie, Beevers, Lewington (c); Potter, Gleeson; Chadwick, Balanta (Williams 63), Bowditch (Powell 63); Morrison.

Subs not used: Chicksen, Flanagan.

Goal: Morrison 85

Referee: Nigel Miller (County Durham)

Attendance: 2,408 (92 away)

    Latest Match Reports