Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Nov 11 at 17:02 PM


Dean Bowditch scored his sixth and seventh goal of the season as MK Dons beat Wycombe Wanderers 4-3 in a topsy-turvy Buckinghamshire derby at stadiummk.

The seven-goal thriller came to life in the second half when Wycombe came from behind to cancel out Bowditch's opener in the 15th minute, to take the lead with two goals from Stuart Beavon and Marcello Trotta in the space of two minutes.

However, the Dons showed great fight to go level through Bowditch's second before Jabo Ibehre fired the home side back ahead and Mathias Kouo-Doumbe appeared to have confirmed all three points with their fourth of the afternoon.

cm v ww.jpg

But there was late drama when Beavon struck in the 90th minute to set-up a tense three minutes of injury time. It was too late for the Chairboys to get anything from the result, which leaves them in the murky end of the table, while Dons consolidated their fourth spot in the League 1 table.

The Dons camp was struck down by illness in the build up to the game and as a result both Adam Smith and Daniel Powell were missing meaning Mathias Kouo-Doumbe and Dean Bowditch came into the starting line-up.

Fast out the blocks, the Dons called Nikki Bull into his first save of the game with less than 30 seconds on the clock when Jabo Ibehre made the perfect flick on from Luke Chadwick's ball to allow Charlie MacDonald a shot on target which was superbly tipped over.

lc v ww.jpg

However, a Wycombe corner caused chaos in the Dons box when James Tunnicliffe, who spent time on loan with the Dons, when the defender was afforded the space to knock the ball goal bound yet somehow, he managed to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

When the Dons put the ball on the floor and put their expansive style on show there was a look of panic from the Wycombe players. At times, the Dons almost played too quickly for the visitors.

That certainly proved to be the case when the Dons broke the deadlock in the 15th minute. A one-two between Chadwick and Ibehre caught out Danny Foster and Dave Winfield and the Dons were allowed to shake off their shackles and punish Wycombe.

Ibehre showed his pace as he advanced to the edge of the box and the ball went through Stephen Gleeson as it found Bowditch, after a great run into the right of the box, and the forward emphatically fired the Dons ahead.

db goal v ww.jpg

Wycombe could have been staring at a heavy defeat had the Dons been able to follow two chances that quickly followed the opening goal. First, on the counterattack, Gleeson found Ibehre who only had the keeper to beat but Bull had made himself big and did enough to take the sting out of the shot.

Then Ibehre was once again involved in the play, this time he was composed as he took the ball past Tunnicliffe and fed in Chadwick, however, the midfielder only managed to curl his shot over.

Some questioning defending could have presented Wycombe with an equaliser on the half-hour mark when Kadeem Harris was able to breach into the Dons area and play the ball at the feet of Joel Grant, both Mark Beevers and Kouo-Doumbe tried to deal with him but he was still able to turn the ball wide of the post as he fell to ground.

Further warning signs came when Wycombe's new loan signing Marcello Trotta sprayed the ball to Grant only to be denied by Martin.

db cele v ww.jpg

After an interruption for a clash of heads between Harris and Flanagan the Dons had chance to add to the score line when Kouo-Doumbe raced through bodies down the right-hand side, Ibehre had chance to shoot and did with sight at goal but Bull parried his effort and, although ultimately in an offside position, MacDonald tapped the ball wide.

At the opposite end the Dons were given another scare when Grant Basey's corner went uncollected by Martin and Tunnicliffe nodded over.

Wycombe looked the sharper side when they came out for the second half and when Scott Donnelly rode the challenge of Kouo-Doumbe he squared to Stuart Beavan who was able to curl into the top corner beyond the reach of Martin.

The game was then spun on its head when some poor defending saw Wycombe take the lead just 60 seconds after levelling. The Dons defence was AWOL when Trotta picked up the ball 20-yards out and, after brushing past an attempted challenge by Flanagan; he lashed home the Chairboys' second.

mkd goal v ww.jpg

This topsy-turvy derby was far from over though and, spurred on by the MK Army, the Dons clawed back an equaliser in the 55th minute. It was the desire of Chadwick that proved vital as he took the ball from Ibehre's feet on the edge of the box, raced to the byline and whipped in a cross. Initially missed by MacDonald, the cross was turned in by Bowditch to the delight of the Cowshed.

The goal had boosted the Dons' confidence and the momentum was back with them which showed when 13 minutes after falling behind Robinson's men put themselves back in front.

Flanagan, deep inside the Wycombe half played a ball down the right flank for MacDonald to run on to. The striker showed great pace as he found his way into the box and unselfishly found Ibehre 12-yards out, with a defender to his right he turned 360 degrees and stroked the ball past Bull.

Having seen their lead disappear and reappear, the Dons turned the screw when a Gleeson's corner from the left was whipped in at pace and Kouo-Doumbe managed to get the flick on to make it 4-2.

There was still life in Wycombe though, in the 90th minute the Dons had switched off allowing Beavon to go unnoticed as he found space on the edge of the D and sent a thunderous strike into the top corner to set up the nerviest of finishes.

MK Dons (4-2-3-1): Martin; Kouo-Doumbe, Flanagan, Beevers, Lewington (c); Potter, Gleeson; Chadwick, Ibehre (Balanta 78), Bowditch (O'Shea 88); MacDonald.

Subs: McLoughlin, MacKenzie, Williams.

Goals: Bowditch 15, 55, Ibehre 66, Kouo-Doumbe 71

Wycombe Wanderers: Bull, Foster (McCoy 74), Rowlands (Donnelly 23), Winfield (c), Basey, Tunnicliffe, Grant (Ibe 81), Lewis, Beavon, Trotta, Harris.

Subs not used: Bloomfield, Strevens.7

Goals: Beavon 51, 90, Trotta 52

Referee: Carl Boyeson (Hull)

Attendance: 9,701 (1,128 away)

    Latest Match Reports