Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Feb 11 at 21:54 PM


MK Dons came out on the wrong end of a five-goal thriller as they were defeated 3-2 by in form Leyton Orient. Despite the Dons twice taking the lead through Dean Lewington and Jabo Ibehre, the visitors continued to battle back by equalising twice through Jimmy Smith with substitute Jonathan Tehoue scoring the a second-half winner. Dons opened the scoring as early as the seventh minute in emphatic fashion and through the most unlikely of sources. Dean Cox failed to clear a Peter Leven corner, only to find Lewington lurking on the edge of the area who took one touch before blasting the ball into the top corner. The skipper had clearly inspired his team mates as Stephen Gleeson was next to try his luck from distance. Although the midfielder kept his shot on target, the goalkeeper saw it all the way as he dived to his left to catch the ball. Despite the home side's bright start to the game, Orient managed to grab an equaliser in the 17th minute. Charlie Daniels found himself in space on the wing as he burst forward and played the ball back to Smith who comfortably placed the ball into the back of the net. Keanu Marsh-Brown takes on the O's defence.   It was clear that MK were not disheartened by the leveller as they found themselves back in front six minutes later. Rowan Vine caught the visiting defence unaware as he played a quick cross to Ibehre whose side-footed shot hit the bar before ricocheting off the helpless Jaime Jones and into the goal. It was the same combination that linked up moments later as Vine and Ibehre looked to double the Dons' lead. On this occasion, Vine found his strike partner with a deep cross but the unmarked Ibehre was only able to put the ball wide of the target. MK continued to create chances and came close to scoring once more through Keanu Marsh-Brown. After a swift counter attack, Luke Chadwick played in the loanee who took his time before blasting his shot over the bar. Jabo Ibehre jabs home the Dons' second.   Although the home side seemed to be doing all the attacking, Orient were rewarded for their persistence as Smith levelled the match once more. The midfielder latched onto Daniels' cross to head home despite the cries of offside by the home fans. The second half saw Daniel Powell replace Ibehre and the substitute almost made an instant impact. The striker latched onto Leven's through ball and rounded the goalkeeper before having his shot despairingly blocked and scrambled away by Andrew Whing. The pace of Marsh-Brown was proving difficult to handle at times and he almost caught out the Orient defence when he switched wings. The wide man burst down the left wing and cut inside but his low cross was blocked by Jones. Tom Flanagan puts pressure on Paul-Jose M'Poku.   Having been behind twice, Orient managed to take the lead in the 74th minute through substitute Tehoue. Paul-Jose M'Poku tricked his way past Lewington in the centre of the field before playing an inch-perfect pass to Tehoue, who made no mistake by slotting the ball past David Martin. Tom Flanagan had been recently recalled from his loan spell at Kettering and he almost marked his return with a goal. The defender latched onto Leven's corner and had his header smartly saved and eventually cleared away. Although the Dons' continued to search for an equaliser, their efforts came to nothing as Orient held out for the win to end the home side's five game unbeaten streak. MK Dons (4-4-2): Martin; Kouo-Doumbe (Amoo 90), O'Hanlon, Flanagan (Stirling 84), Lewington (c); Marsh-Brown, Gleeson, Leven, Chadwick; Vine, Ibehre (Powell 45). Unused subs: Searle, Guy, Hughes, Chicksen,. Leyton Orient (4-5-1): Jones, Whing, Omozusi, Chorley, Daniels; M'Poku (Carroll 90), Smith, Dawson (c), Crowe, Cox; Revell (Tehoue 70). Unused subs: Forbes, McGleish, Butcher, Jarvis, Kane.

    Latest Match Reports