Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Apr 11 at 07:44 AM


MK Dons were condemned to a 3-1 defeat by promotion rivals Huddersfield Town at stadiummk on Good Friday. The Dons were left to count the cost of Peter Leven's first-half penalty miss which could have cancelled out Scot Arfield's opener, as Lee Peltier headed Huddersfield into a two goal lead at half-time. Arfield was then denied his second of the game when David Martin saved his 63rd minute penalty, but Danny Cadamarteri added the Terriers' third eight minutes later. The Dons did find a late reply from Mathias Kouo-Doumbe which only proved to be a consolation. The Dons could have all but sealed their place in the play-offs had victory come their way, but defeat mean the Dons' fate has been delayed by at least another game. Robinson's men from MK1 remain in fifth place and seven points clear of seventh place, currently occupied by Rochdale who play on Saturday, with only nine points still up for grabs. Luke Chadwick comes up against Gary Roberts in midfield stadiummk was bathed in glorious sunshine, but the Dons needed to keep their cool if they were to avenge the 4-1 defeat handed to them at Huddersfield. The Dons looked lively in the early stages with Angelo Balanta, in his first start since breaking his ankle almost five months ago, demonstrating his trickery down the left wing to cause Lee Peltier a few problems. Town's 'keeper Ian Bennett was twice called upon by Daniel Powell in the opening ten minutes. The first was a tame shot that the experienced former Birmingham goalie was relatively untroubled by, but the second he knew little about as Powell fired a point-blank effort straight into his body. The Dons showed no fear against their promotion rivals as they stuck to their natural passing game and although it may have caused the Cowshed a few nervy moments as the ball was sprayed around by the defence to build momentum from the back, the Dons appeared confident in possession. Gary MacKenzie battles against Jamie McCombe And Robinson's men appeared to be the team edging ever closer to finding the break through when Gary MacKenzie went up for a Peter Leven corner, but he appealed for a foul as he looked to have been pushed in the back, and sent this header over the bar. Instead it was Huddersfield who delivered the first blow when they were afforded too much space in midfield and Gary Roberts pushed forward before sliding Arfield through on his right. The midfielder, with a sight at goal, struck a fabulous first time effort between the bodies of Dean Lewington and MacKenzie and into the top of the net. It was difficult for the Dons to take as they had kept Huddersfield quiet while creating their own chances. But just five minutes later the Dons had the opportunity to level the scores when Powell was bundled down in the Terriers' box and referee Roger East pointed to the spot. Unfortunately, Bennett correctly went to his left to palm away Leven's low penalty. Dons striker Sam Baldock chases down the ball at stadiummk To add to their woes a huge moment of controversy went against them nine minutes before the break when the linesman awarded a corner when the last touch looked to have come from a Town player. Then, pouring salt into the wound, Roberts' outswinger was met by Lee Peltier who out jumped Lewington to head Huddersfield into a 2-0 lead. Bennett again denied the Dons from clawing a goal back when he produced a fine tip over to prevent Baldock from nodding home a wonderful lofted cross by Leven. The Dons were not prepared to give up on the cause and with six minute on the second half clock they were back in the Huddersfield half and causing problems. In fact, when Powell played the ball into the box Clarke accidentally turned it into the path of Baldock but the flick on lacked the power to trouble Bennett. Dean Lewington does his best to get possession as Huddersfield apply pressure Stephen Gleeson showed terrific determination to get the Dons back into the game when he stole possession in midfield, shared a one-two with Powell, but his fizzed in cross took the slightest of touches from McCombe which saw the ball bounce away from Baldock, who was lining up to head home at the far post. The Dons again edged close to finding a route back when nodded a long cross back into the path of Powell, and the wide man was allowed to shuffle to the left before driving his shot into the body of Bennett. Huddersfield had been shy of shots at the other end of the pitch, yet they were given the chance to extend their lead even further with over an hour on the clock when the referee deemed MacKenzie's challenge on Benik Afobe worthy of a penalty. Daniel Powell proved a handful in the first half Arfield stepped up to the spot, but Martin dived to his right to make a great save for the penalty. However, Martin's efforts only delayed the Terriers' third of the afternoon as the Dons' defence was found wanting when Danny Cadamarteri nodded home Roberts' free-kick. The Dons made positive substitutions with Keanu Marsh-Brown, Jabo Ibehre and Adam Clayton all making appearances, but the home side's luck appeared to be out as struggled to find any reply as Baldock stabbed wide from yards out after good work down the wing from Marsh-Brown. Robinson's men were finally rewarded for their persistence when Kouo-Doumbe headed in Leven's corner, yet it was little consolation for the Dons. MK DONS (4-2-3-1): Martin; Kouo-Doumbe, O'Hanlon (Clayton 78), MacKenzie, Lewington (c); Gleeson, Leven; Powell, Chadwick (Marsh-Brown 63), Balanta (Ibehre 69); S Baldock. Subs unused: Searle, Vine, Chicksen, Flanagan. Booked: MacKenzie, Leven Goal: Kouo-Doumbe 89 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN: Bennett; Peltier (Cadamarteri 45), McCombe, Clarke (c), Naysmith; Arfield, Gudjonsson, Kilbane; Hunt, Afobe (Novak 76), Roberts (Kay 90). Subs unused: Colgan, Ward, Rhodes, Lee. Goals: Arfield 23, Peltier 36, Cadamarteri 71 Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire) Attendance: 11, 857 (2,819 away)

    Latest Match Reports