Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Feb 11 at 17:03 PM


MK Dons played out a 1-1 draw against Brentford to extend their unbeaten run to five games.

Keanu Marsh-Brown scored his first senior goal at the start of the second half before Lewis Grabban levelled the game for the visitors two minutes later.

Brentford carved out the first opportunity of the match after 15 minutes when Lewis Grabban found himself behind the Dons defence after he was played in by Gary Alexander. The striker ran towards goal before having his low shot saved by the feet of David Martin.

The away side looked dangerous on the counter attack and when Sam Saunders beat the offside trap, he looked to have the goal at his mercy but chose to pass rather than shoot but over hit his attempt which ran out for a goal kick.

Brentford proved to be tough to break down and any chances the Dons did create were highly ambitious attempts. Firstly Rowan Vine stung the palms of Richard Lee from a tight angle before Jabo Iberhe attempted a turning shot from the edge of the area which trickled into the keeper's hands.

After a lacklustre first half, the Dons made a flying start to the second when Keanu Marsh-Brown opened the scoring on his home debut. The midfielder played in Luke Chadwick down the wing before running on to latch onto Chadwick's cross and slot the ball home.

Ibehre almost doubled the lead moments later when he rose above the defenders to glance a header towards goal. However, his tame effort was easily gathered by the visiting goalkeeper.

MK seemed to have found their stride but having been in front for two minutes they were pegged back immediately. Lewis Grabban found himself with space inside the box before unleashing a powerful shot which brushed David Martin's fingers before nestling in the bottom corner.

The Dons looked to restore their lead immediately as the lively Marsh-Brown broke through from the wing. The loanee had been quick to make a good impression at stadium:mk but on this occasion he was unable to keep his composure as his attempt went wide of the far post.

Mathias Kouo-Doumbe found himself playing at full-back as opposed to his usual shift at centre half and the defender came close to continuing his impressive goal scoring form. The Frenchman cut inside before striking a left footed shot from outside the area which narrowly avoided the top corner.

Brentford continued to look threatening going forward and were cursing their luck after Marcus Bean picked up David Martin's bad clearance. The midfielder's shot looped over the back-tracking goalkeeper before crashing off the bar with Gary Alexander's follow up flying over the bar.

The visitor's came close to turning the game around once more as Miles Weston beat Stephen Gleeson on the wing. The winger ran towards goal before playing the ball across goal which initially avoided everyone before being cut back once more and despairingly cleared of the line by Dean Lewington.

In contrast to the first half, the game became very open with end to end attacking. Jabo Iberhe was unfortunate not to grab a goal as he picked the ball up in the box and poked the ball goalwards but his effort was scrambled away by Lee.

The home side had not had much luck from set pieces but came close to converting a corner with minutes remaining. Richard Lee was clutching at thin air as the ball flew over his head and reaching Sean O'Hanlon at the back post who headed wide.

DONS: David Martin, Dean Lewington (c), Mathias Kouo-Doumbe, Sean O'Hanlon, Stephen Gleeson, Rowan Vine (Guy, 68), Jabo Ibehre, Keanu Marsh-Brown (Amoo, 75), Adam Chicksen (Hughes, 62), Luke Chadwick, Daniel Powell.

SUBS NOT USED: Stuart Searle, Jude Stirling, George Baldock.

GOALS: Marsh-Brown (48)

BRENTFORD: Richard Lee, Kevin O'Connor (Spillane 51), Craig Woodman, Marcus Bean, Sam Saunders, Myles Weston, Lewis Grabban (Simpson, 71), Toumani Diagouraga (Tudur-Jones 85), Karleigh Osborne, Gary Alexander, Leon Legge.

SUBS NOT USED: Pim Balkestein, Nicholas Bignall, Stephen Wright.

GOALS: Grabban (50)

BOOKINGS: Bean, Saunders, Alexander

Attendance: 8,636

    Latest Match Reports